My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 11:19 PM
2nd Gear member

Not sure if this link will work or not but here goes. Its a short sound clip of the car now. Its running extremely rich, blowing raw fuel out of the pipes. Theres also a miss in it. If your wondering what the sound in the background is, its the electric fuel pump, it will not be there with the new engine. Regardless, have a look. I think the exhaust is flow master something thunder? Put it in many years ago and i dont remember what model it was.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:16 AM
Overdrive Member

Link doesn't work. Nice ride. I didn't know you were Canadian. It looks like you have a hellava ranch out there. Looks like you have some serious bodywork going on too.

The seats look fine to me, I'd bolt them in my car. One thing I noticed about your car is the regulator is mounted to the firewall. Most tracks frown on that because if the flywheel explodes it could sever the fuel line. Maybe toss the MSD in the car, under the dash. She sure is purdy though.

Good luck on the tranny and again trying to drive close to 600 ft lbs on those little (relatively) tires. Should burn them until you don't want to burn them any more.

Last edited by 77nomad; 07-14-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The seat covers look good to me, and they will relax some more with time. A hint on seat cover installs; next time put them in an old pillow case and drop them in the dryer for around 5-10 minutes. That really softens them up and makes getting them on the seats a bunch easier. They'll also pull tighter and contour to the seats better. Make sure you wear gloves to handle them as you do this.
No reason not to pull the carpet and do the floors before you do a cage, but I wouldn't lay down the sound deadener or the new carpets until the cage is done. You'll just have to pull part of it back up when you do the cage, so it's wasted time and effort, plus could get damaged from wleding the cage if it's already installed.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:40 PM
2nd Gear member

77Nomad, the body work isnt mine, I was bored working on the car in the shop out here so i decided to take it into the town where i live, to a shop that my two buddies run. One of them is a body man the other is a mechanic. Makes working on the car seem like less work when there’s someone to bullsh*t with while im working. As for the burning of the tires, I don’t know what tires I will be putting on there yet. The rear end that I am waiting for has a Wilwood brake conversion on it and requires a 16” rim. Some where around here there is a CHP magazine with an article stating exactly what offset rim and tire can be used on a 70 Camaro. Once I find that I will know. I am hoping to run something in the 305 range and it will be a drag radial I believe. Something that is good on the track and still legal on the street.

As for progress on the car....

I have pretty much got all of the underlay out of the rear of the car. I will hopefully be pulling the front drivers kick panel and the front piece of carpet today. The floor of the camaro is perfect under the carpet. Zero rust, which kind of makes me angry i scratched the stock primer pulling up the underlay.

So heres the new plan.

I spoke with my buddy that does the cages and exhaust. He says he can get the car in a for a cage in a couple of weeks. This is going to be what I do. I am going to call him later tonight and see what kind of timing he is thinking. He told me that he can give me a cage that has accessible rear seats and removable door bars but it will only be certified for 11.50 on the quarter. All motor here in Calgary I will be right around that time in the ¼ mile but I honestly believe I will be Pro Charging the car this winter. I will need a cage that is good for faster ET’s then that. I will chat him up and see what his ideas are. I have come to the realization I don’t need rear seats, this means that tubbing the rear end might come into play over the next while.

The transmission has arrived in Calgary and is waiting to clear with the broker. I am hoping this is done and arrives out here on Tuesday. I will be doing some real sweet talking to the buddy of mine with the mechanics shop in town that has a lift if this is the case.

I will be going with Lemons headers from www.lemonsheaders.com. They have two styles of headers, one is this race header and the other is their pro touring model. I believe I will go with the pro touring because the race version has one tube that sticks into the front passenger wheel well. These are 3.5 weeks build time and 1 week coating time. I will hopefully have them ordered on Monday.

Almost seems like everything is coming together, I wont have the car on the road by the time I go back to work but I’m for sure going to try and get it done my next trip home.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

So are you still working on the Camaro, or back overseas at work? Any updates????

Old 08-04-2011, 02:06 AM
2nd Gear member

Yeah sorry about the long delay. No pictures to add but have made some progress.

Up to this point:

-I have received the engine and transmission
-The starter (wont work), alternator, fuel pump and water pump have been bought and paid for but haven’t yet arrived
-Ordered Lemons headers and a new mini starter that will work with the headers - should be here in two weeks
-Ordered the Currie rear end which should be here in two weeks
-Ordered Hotchkis weld in subframe connectors because we didn’t like the look of the ones we bought several years ago
-Hopefuilly will have the Corbeau seats ordered this week

Work completed

I pulled the engine and transmission out of the car. Everything went well, the only issues were I had to cut one of the starter wires and I messed up a transmission line because I got lazy and tried to remove it without a backup wrench.

I had hoped to have the engine and transmission mocked up but the night I went to work on it I found out I had the wrong motor mounts. The original mounts I bought were tall skinny ones but I then had to return them for the short wider ones to fit the mounts in the car.

I have decided to go with the roll cage, This will not happen until September sometime which will work because I need the car sitting with the engine, trans and rear end to get a cage to fit correctly. My cage guy is coming out to show me which spots on the car I need to prep prior to welding.

If anything goes how I hope I will have the engine and trans in place by the end of the week. I go back to work next week so I would like to get something major put back to place.

I will add some pictures when there is something to look at.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I've had that same motor mount issue ever since I got my '71. The supply houses never believe me when I tell them I want smallblock motor mounts, and I always have to take my old mounts with me to be sure they give me the right mounts.
That work really gets in the way of fun stuff!

Old 08-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sudstoy
Yeah sorry about the long delay. No pictures to add but have made some progress.

Up to this point:

-I have received the engine and transmission
-The starter (wont work), alternator, fuel pump and water pump have been bought and paid for but haven’t yet arrived
-Ordered Lemons headers and a new mini starter that will work with the headers - should be here in two weeks
-Ordered the Currie rear end which should be here in two weeks
-Ordered Hotchkis weld in subframe connectors because we didn’t like the look of the ones we bought several years ago
-Hopefuilly will have the Corbeau seats ordered this week

Work completed

I pulled the engine and transmission out of the car. Everything went well, the only issues were I had to cut one of the starter wires and I messed up a transmission line because I got lazy and tried to remove it without a backup wrench.

I had hoped to have the engine and transmission mocked up but the night I went to work on it I found out I had the wrong motor mounts. The original mounts I bought were tall skinny ones but I then had to return them for the short wider ones to fit the mounts in the car.

I have decided to go with the roll cage, This will not happen until September sometime which will work because I need the car sitting with the engine, trans and rear end to get a cage to fit correctly. My cage guy is coming out to show me which spots on the car I need to prep prior to welding.

If anything goes how I hope I will have the engine and trans in place by the end of the week. I go back to work next week so I would like to get something major put back to place.

I will add some pictures when there is something to look at.

Sudstoy – Thanks for purchasing a pair of our subframe connectors. We hope you like them better than your old ones.
Have you seen the video we made on how to install them?

http://youtu.be/_xEvdRXvPqA

Are you using rubber motor mounts or are you upgrading to the better interlocked polyurethane motor mounts?

Old 08-13-2011, 06:39 AM
2nd Gear member

I have Energy Suspension polyeurothane mounts. I have watched your video and looks simple enough. Will have to wait to install them as the rear end, trans, and engine will all be different.

Here is a sound clip of the old 350, shortly after this i ripped the engine out. Its running like crap but i wanted a little video to remember what the mouse sounded like when i get that bb in there.
http://s1229.photobucket.com/albums/...osCamaroHD.mp4

Last edited by Sudstoy; 08-13-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:38 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The smallblock sounds pretty decent. You probably should have put it up for sale before pulling it, as you can always get better money for a running engine a buyer can listen to, before pulling it.

Quick Reply: My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build