My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011 | 09:55 PM
|
2nd Gear member

Well that is some great news. Im gonna have to talk to my buddy that does the cages. Have a look at his site, he uses some cool stuff to make exhaust and cages. What i picture in my head is a stainless cage that is clear coated. I think it would look great polished up with the discolouration from welding. I already have another new headliner so taking the one thats in it out doesnt bother me any. I am going to explore this option later on. Probably when the snow starts flying. Guess its time to buy a car hauler to move this thing around in the winter time!

Trans and rear end will be ordered this week. Not sure how long they will take to get deleivered, both are coming air freight.

Old 06-28-2011 | 12:31 AM
Overdrive Member

Stainless is a no-no. Heavy and I'm not sure its legal. If you have the dough then get a chrome moly cage. Its stronger so you can get away with a smaller diameter bar. The price jumps compared to mild steel though. Mine will be moly no doubt. This cage is $265 stepping up to moly adds another $259. Not cheap but its the way I'm going. https://www.secureway1.com/alston/in...?productID=161

Old 06-28-2011 | 02:53 AM
|
2nd Gear member

I understand what your saying for the stainless. Is this correct for pricing? $265 for the kit? A little over $500 for chromoly? I was thinking a cage would be like $3000 installed? This just turned into a slightly more viable option now.

Old 06-28-2011 | 09:21 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Sudstoy
I understand what your saying for the stainless. Is this correct for pricing? $265 for the kit? A little over $500 for chromoly? I was thinking a cage would be like $3000 installed? This just turned into a slightly more viable option now.
Don't forget another $100 to ship it. I looked at a kit for both my cars, but ended up making mine as it was cheaper than the kit and the shipping.
I'd go chromoly too, and still clear it. Painted both of mine, but I'm not racing them.

Old 06-28-2011 | 01:00 PM
Overdrive Member

Yes those are the prices. Plus shipping from northern Illinois. A good rule of thumb is a $100 a point for a custom cage. So for an 8 point $800. I don't know how well Alstons fit but their subframe connectors were the best fitting until PTFB came out with thier own.

Old 06-29-2011 | 04:32 AM
|
2nd Gear member

I spoke with my buddy who has the welding shop and does the exhaust and cages. Hes booking into this winter already so i think i will pencil myself in. He says that i can get a cage with removable door bars and an accessable back seat and it will be certified to 11.50. That is the speed im hoping for all motor so i think that will be what i end up doing. Once i drive it for a year or so i might decide that i dont need back seats and at this point it will get tubbed and a real cage welded in. I am so back and forth on how i want to get this car built im confusing myself. I think i will just start tearing apart things and installing new ones and see where it takes me.

Old 06-29-2011 | 09:59 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Backseats in 2nd Gen Camaros are useless for anyone over 12 yrs. old anyway. Everytime I ever had adults in the back of mine when it had a backseat they complained constantly. I finally took mine out and never regretted it. Now if anyone wants to ride they can go with someone else!

Old 06-29-2011 | 09:37 PM
|
2nd Gear member

Yeah i know what you mean but for the first little while the cars going to be somewhat of a novelty and people are going to want to ride in it. After that i will explore this option.

A new update from today, the transmission has been ordered. It is as follows

Built by transmissioncenter.net
Level 3 4L80E (minus the E)
Nicknamed Quadzilla
Full manual shift
Full throttle 3-4 upshifts
Red eagle high friction clutch discs for every gear
Billet input shaft
Stock gear ratios (2.48, 1.48, 1.00, 0.75)
Modified tail section to hook up stock gages
Lokar Billet shift arm
All linkages and hardware to install
Transmission cross member
Basicall a full rebuilt, rated for over 1000HP

Just waiting on shipping date. Bill has been paid. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have the parts in stock, at the very least i want to bolt it up the engine, even if it is just sitting on the floor in the shop. I will update this with delivery as soon as i know.

Should be closing the deal with the Currie rear end any day now, im not really to sure what is taking so long as the specs have been done for a week. I was going to stay over here working until July 14th but this project is killing me so im going home on July 7th now.

Does anyone have a good contact for Gm Performance Parts? I have a small list i want to purchase from them and if i can get a break on cost i will move forward on them immediately.

Thanks

Old 06-30-2011 | 12:00 AM
Overdrive Member

Sorry no help on deals. Here's a tip, sit down and write out your plans for the car and stick to them. Not being able to decide if you want tubs or a change here and there eventually turns into a half done car waiting. I've seen a lot. I did it on my old Camaro. Wanted to build it one way then another, bought and sold parts for it. Then had another drag car to boot that took all my money to race. The car rusted out before I did anything, like drive it. The new car has a plan, with the exceptition of the gas tank I'm sticking to the plan and its actually working. If I could just focus on finishing a project before starting another one.

Old 06-30-2011 | 12:43 AM
|
2nd Gear member

Yeah good ideas. I believe i am going to do two things here. The first is i am going to get the car running - new rad, engine, trans, diff, brakes. Then this winter i will decide what else to do with the car.

Quick Reply: My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build