My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I'd run new lines, and not try to reuse the old ones after the number of years they have on them. I'd go with steel, and not flew anywhere but the drops at the rear axle and front wheels. I bent up iron tie wire from each wheel to the various points and then straightened it out to get a measurement. Then I bought straight line with the correct flares and fittings on the ends and bent them with my tubing bender. It worked great, and any excess I just made the small turns below the master to act as vibration dampening.
My local supplier had both stainless flex lines with clear plastic coating, and also OEM style rubber hoses. I wanted rubber to save money, but they said the SS flex lines were actually much cheaper, so SS is what I bought. I used those rubber insulated one hole straps to anchor all the lines in their new location. Took me a day to plumb it all and connect to the master.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:25 PM
2nd Gear member

Thanks for the advice. I really have no idea how i would R&R the front brake lines that are under the engine. If i pull out the engine this car is sitting for an extra year because i will do all of the things that i should have done last time it had no motor like smoothing the firewall and painting the bay again.

I have emailed Wilwood to get their take on the whole situation and to see what they offer. From my experience, they dont like to return emails too well.

Got some good news last night, my rims and tires are in Canada now. The bad news is im right close to 4800 miles from where they are. I spoke with a buddy last night that is down in Idaho for the weekened and he says he will stop by and pick them up if he has room. If he cant get them for me this weekend, he will get them for me next weekend when he does the same run.

Getting new parts makes building cars so much fun, its like christmas!

Old 09-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Overdrive Member

The line that follows under the engine wasn't too hard for me to get on with the engine in. It was on the side toward the oil pan. It may be a bigger deal with the 572 in there.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:57 PM
2nd Gear member

Im going to look when i get home but from what i remember it is much closer then tight. Like to the point that i have contemplated pulling the motor to put a new oil pan on the car.

Well as many of you guys know the plans for this thing change on a daily basis, and i mean on a daily basis. I should have Hotchkis upper and lower tubular control arms and also a set of their chassis max handle bars arrive at my house soon.

Hopefully these upgrades, along with the PST springs, coils and front and rear sway bars help turn this car into something more then a straight line car.

Hotchkis Sport Suspension

Everything should be in by the time i get home from work. I will find out tomrrow morning my time, tomorrow night everyone elses if my buddy was able to fit the rims and tires into his truck. I asked him to snap some photos for me.

Again the pile of boxes grows with nothing being installed on the car. I will be able to have one hell of a classifieds add once this thing is done too.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:47 AM
2nd Gear member

One more item to add to the list of parts. We have a set of QA1 coil overs on order now too. That pretty much completes everything we need for the front end and rear end except for brake line fittings. I think these will be the first two items i take care of when i get home. The rear end brakes are easy, all i will need to do is bolt back on the Wilwood Calipers, and mount the sway bar and the rear end is done. Im not to sure if i mentioned it before but i had to remove the calipers because the rims wouldnt fit over them.

Hopefully will have some pictures to post soon!

Old 09-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Overdrive Member

Can't wait until the parts go from a pile to a car. Your going to have a nice piece when done for sure.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:37 PM
2nd Gear member

Well good news, my buddy was able to fit the rims and tires into his truck and bring them home for me. He says that the pictures he sent dont do them any justice becuase apparently they are perfectly polished and clean and the pictures make them look a bit cloudy. Cant wait to mount these!

Name:  rims3.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  82.0 KB
Name:  rims2.jpg
Size:  118.0 KB
Name:  rims1.jpg
Size:  127.4 KB

Old 09-12-2012, 02:51 AM
Overdrive Member

They look familiar. The rears look taller than mine though. Even though they are the same size. When you get home polish yours, it will help protect them. Mine started to get chalky after almost a year inside. I used a power ball and some mothers to get them back to perfect.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:28 AM
2nd Gear member

Alright will do, even though it might be hard to build up the enthusiasm. Like i said the pictures make them look cloudy but my buddy swears that they are real real shiny and dont really look like they do in the pictures in real life.

Do you have M/T Ets on the rear of your car? Maybe thats why they look different? Just throwing it out there.

One negative thing is the lower control arms are back ordered, not supposed to ship until Sept 22nd which doesnt make a difference, it would just be sweet to have them there when i get home.

But on a positive note, i managed to change my ticket out of here, now I get home on September 20 instead of the 22nd. Maybe i can put my Satarday to good use now.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:44 AM
2nd Gear member

I was reading through some of your pages and it sounds like your going to have a fun ride. I hear that 572 is a nice motor.

I didn't read everything, but if your in the need for a 3-1/2" or 5" fiberglass cowl hood, let me know and I'll give you some information on the guy that did my hood for my 69. He does great work and for half the cost of VFN or Harwood.

Those are nice wheels that you bought.

Good luck

Bruce

Quick Reply: My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build