My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 07:15 AM
2nd Gear member

Thanks for the heads up, ill make sure to message you when i get to that point. My issue is where is the guy from? Shipping anywhere will probably cost the same as the hood. I assume i will end up going to a place like Mopac which is local and carry most brand names.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:02 AM
2nd Gear member

He's from North Carolina and I live in Pennsylvania and it cost me $130 to ship the hood. My hood cost $275 and I did think that was a bad price to pay.

The 5" cowl hood for your car cost $300 and I guess it would really depend on your location in Canada? I can tell you this guy is old school and is very proud of his work and my hood fit great and I had to do very little rework.

Are you installing any chassis upgrades like a roll bar or frame connectors?

Bruce

Old 09-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I sure like your choice in wheels! They will look great on your Camaro!

Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 PM
2nd Gear member

Yep im really excited to get them on there, mostly to see if they fit.

As for the frame questions, i hae hotckis weld in subframe connectors and will be getting a six point cage welded in. This is going to be a street car so i dont want to go any more then that. My guy says that he can build a cage where i keep my full interior including both back seats and thats really important to me even if no one will be able to sit back there.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:15 AM
Overdrive Member

I'm using these from Ballisitic fabrication. $34 and made in the USA, they actually have a bunch of cool stuff and its cheap too.

These will go on the shoulder bar. that way I can pull it out and know my son'r won't sqwash there grapes on the bar in a sudden stop. When they are installed I don't see where they would compromise the integrity of the bar at all. I can hide them with roll bar padding if I do need to get through tech somewhere.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:19 AM
2nd Gear member

Thats a neat idea.

Its kind of the same idea as as the door bars i will have, i cant remember what brand name they are though. All i can picture is me and the old lady going out for a nice dinner and her tripping out of the car over the door bar wearing a sexy little dress. According to my cage builder removable door bars are fine, not sure about the rear.

I honestly NEVER plan on having someone in the back of my Camaro. It was one thing to have people crammed back there when i was driving it at 17 but now im not a big fan of that. (plus i dont have kids) I think the back seat of the car will look really good with the reapolstered seats and a set of matching Corbeau harnesses like i have upfront. I will just suck the harnesses tight to keep the clean look.

The days are just crawling by for me now, i think reading about camaros is becomming an addiction. But only three more days of work then 5 hours of flights to another place in the Motherland, two days of meetings then start my 15 hours of flights home. If you cant tell im rather excited thinking about the whole situation.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:57 AM
2nd Gear member

That is a neat idea and trust me, climbing in and out of my car with the "X" brace is no fun and I'm not getting any younger.....

Here is one thing to think about, "IF" you decided to go with a roll bar/ cage setup and you decide you want to race it. Don't go with those Pro Street side bars because some tracks may not allow them because they're not NHRA legal. Some tracks will and some won't but to be safe, go with a swing out type bar.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:16 AM
2nd Gear member

Yeah its been almost a year now since i have talked about the cage to the guy whos gonna build it. He knows that it needs to be a certified cauge. Around these parts you need a cage if you are faster then 12 seconds. I am hoping for mid to low 11s but that is going to take some serious work.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:27 AM
2nd Gear member

Your joking right, hoping for 11's with a 572?

I would be looking at 10's or better. I hoping for mid to low 10's with my 408 and you got quit a few more cubes that I do.

You get the traction down I bet you'll be in the 10's.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:16 AM
2nd Gear member

I really dont know? The only times that i can compare anything too came from my days at Calgary Race City Speedway. We are are 3400' elevation here and the track was mediocre at best. I have seen many cars running alot slower then i read about in the magazines.

Like i say mid to low 11s is what i am shooting for, anything more then that i will be happy and can readjust my expectations. I would imagine your gonna be real fast down the track, 14" of slicked rubber, 5000 stall, 4:57 gears and better drag racing suspension will definately help you. I am running a mild mannered set of 3:70:1 gears, 315 drag radials, spring suspension and a 2200rpm stall.

All of this being said, i dont really know what to expect as the fastest car i have been down the track in was my camaro 10 years ago and ran a 13.9.

Do you have a thread about your car build? I dont see it in your signiture or your garage?

Quick Reply: My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build