79 Camaro Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Overdrive Member

I take that back, I just went to the web site and my front bar is 1 1/4 "1LE".

Old 05-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by kyphur
Yeah, but almost all the ones I've seen missing the rear swaybar are usually the ones that only care about going in a straight line.
Actually there were far more Camaros built without rear swaybars than with them. It was a hi performance option to have the rear, but fronts were standard.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:01 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

I just figured if sway bars were a high performance option, then I wanted them on the car. I'm also considering some home made cal-tracs. It looks like it will be a tight squeeze on the spring pad, but I bet it will all fit.

Thanks on the patch, I am not the welding person though, that is the father in law. His welder sat in his garage with a leaky roof and it got wet alot, so it is pretty screwed up.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

I almost traded an 8.5 rear end for a set of 2nd gen cal tracs. The only reason I didn't was that I wanted to keep my sway bar.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:45 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

I almost traded an 8.5 rear end for a set of 2nd gen cal tracs. The only reason I didn't was that I wanted to keep my sway bar.
So it won't work? I figured I could make it work being home made. Even if some extra holes had to be made in the caltrac spring mounts for the sway bar to slip into, with the caltracs connecting below that. It may not work, but I can see where it would be worth trying.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:48 PM
3rd Gear Member

I didn't say it wouldn't work. If you're fabricating it then I don't think it would hurt to try it. To be honest, I never did have a clear answer on if the cal-tracs could be ran with the swaybar but I don't think they can be without longer bolts and doubling up with your stock plates.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:19 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

I didn't say it wouldn't work. If you're fabricating it then I don't think it would hurt to try it. To be honest, I never did have a clear answer on if the cal-tracs could be ran with the swaybar but I don't think they can be without longer bolts and doubling up with your stock plates.
I really have no experience with this stuff so I am only going by what I think should work and pictures I have seen with both (although not both at once). I was actually hoping to weld the caltrac brackets right to the stock spring plate. But doubling them up may not be so bad either. I already had to buy longer U-Bolts. Once I get the sway bar on I will have to see how wide the caltrac bolts are, plus the width of the steel on each side and see if it will center up with the spring. I hope so.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:59 AM
Overdrive Member

I'm not certain on this. But I belive they do the same thing, sort of. The cal tracs help load the suspension evenly. Which would help body roll. But that is when your launching. Getting both front tires up at the same time. The sway bar helps body roll going into a corner which is deceleration and unloading the back tires. Hell I don't know. Is it the best of both worlds? If it is sign me up.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:20 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

^^ that is what I think too. One is for cornering, one is for straight lines. I am hoping that they both work together.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:02 AM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Hey Steve, are you taking the self tappers out of the floor when you are done? just curious, getting ready to do my floors soon.

Quick Reply: 79 Camaro Project