what to do to a 1970 camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well if you're going for the 454, then you're sure not worried about originality. All bets are off, so go with whatever makes you happy!
I would avoid going with too much of the same color myself. I've seen red cars with red interior, and red trim here and there, and it just doesn't do it for em personally. Now a red car with black interior, and some red trim inside makes a nice connection that ties it all together. The black interior with embroidered "Camaro" n the headrest area in red would be a nice touch. Could even go with the center panels in red, or side panels in red, and do a black/red combination if you wanted more red to accent the body color.
Small accents like painting your traction bars red to match will be a subtle touch too. I'm not a fan of cosmetics that jump out at people. I like subtle colr combinations, that's why I went with black stripes on my charcoal gray, rather than white that would really contrast.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:17 AM

ya, so much for orginality haha.. as far as the color.. i really am thinking about the new camaro red... if i was to go with that i would have the two black racing stripes down the middle and the interior of the car would be all black.. but i would defintiley go with the 'camaro' in the head rest area and i would do something with the door panles to make them look good too.. but one thing i wanted to try was a custom dash...???? anyone think thats a good idea or keep the orginal.. idk at the time it sounded like a good idea... oh ya, in the head liner and in the floor carpet would i imbroider camaro in it? or just leave it black? thank you guys for all the imput

Old 12-20-2009, 03:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I personally like the custom dash, but they're a lot of work and a lot of money....If you have both the time and money to put into it, its well worth it IMO. As far as the headliner and the door panels I would just keep them black...you dont want too much red in the interior, just enough to make people notice and tie the inside of the car to the outside.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's an article on custom interiors you might be interested in: http://www.hotrod.com/howto/7662_196...ior/index.html

and here's an example of a 68 with a custom interior: http://image.camaroperformers.com/f/...m_interior.jpg

Old 12-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well nobody ever looks up to even see the headliner, so I think that's a waste of funds. Same for the carpet. It's down there where nobody notices any special features, so just new and clean is best.
A custom dash insert is my choice, but not a whole dash. They usually look stupid as a whole dash. You can save a ton of money if you're handy with metal, and can follow instructions by building your own insert. I've seen some that guys did that looked fantastic. They usually start with an aluminum sheet cut to replace original, then lay out new gauges and either paint, or cover the panel with whatever they like.
A gauge cluster can be laid out in cardboard and once you get it mocked up the way you like, then it can be transferred to the metal and cut out. Usually tach, fuel, water temp, oil pressure, volts or amps, and vacuum. The gauges run around $200 for analog, but sigital will run about twice that, and you can simply plumb and wire them in following the instructions with each gauge.
If you buy a set made up they'll run around $800, and you'll still need to plumb and wire them.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:25 PM

ok, thank you guys! i do see where you are coming from the the head liner and the carpet... as far as dash goes... im not too too hand with making custom stuff... ive never done it before but a friend i knows has made his s10 all custom hes works at a local body shop so if you guys can think of a good style for a dash then im sure he'll give me a hand in custom making it.. 1971bb427 like you said with the with the gauge cluster i think that the metal looking meterial i forget what its called but i think that looks nice but i dont know if you guys have any ideas on that im more than welcome for sugestions no price (:

Old 12-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If you don't feel you can make the panel, then they do sell pre-made panels of black plastic or aluminum for around $150. They can be painted, covered with wood grain adhesive, or left as is.
Then you just buy the gauges you want, install in the panel, route it all to the proper locations, and connect them in.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCL-110-70-50922/

Old 12-21-2009, 07:19 AM

1971bb427, nice i like it... but its just like the old ones... and id just rather use the old one because I'm getting a SS gauge cluster... I'm just saying for the dash period.. just the way it look... I'm not saying it looks bad I'm probably just going to keep it the way it is... but if there is a custom dash that looks cool, i might concider it.