what to do to a 1970 camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 03:02 PM

pictures

Last edited by PurpleClutch; 12-17-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:05 PM

My 350 Crate(:

Old 12-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Overdrive Member

Year one has come out with a 17" alloy wheel that is a dead ringer for factory, and their cheap too. http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/p...818AA10424&trk=

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/p...818AA10424&trk=

700 bucks for just the wheels, you say you have a set of steelies. You wouldn't even need center caps then.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Well for tire size, I think about the widest you can go is 275's without tubs in the rear or some decent flares. I have 275/60R15's in the rear on my car and I think they look good. They're not really low profile so they keep that muscle car look but they're beefy and wide enough to give you good grip.

As far as color, go down to your local paint shop and check out some color chips. Make sure they're the glossy ones, and be sure to take them outside and look at them in the sun since thats where you're going to be seeing the car most of the time anyways. (I've always been partial to candy apple red).

As for your seats...you might consider getting them re-covered in either leather or simulated leather. then you could have them stitched in red to match the exterior of the car. You could even go as far as to have "Camaro" or "RS" embroidered on the top of the seat. In my opinion you should make the car the way you want it to be...yes, it will be worth more bone stock...but you're building the car for you to enjoy am I correct? So why not make it the way you like it. If you were building it to sell it then it would be a different story.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Before you have the car painted, (and after you decide on a color) have your paint shop mix it up and spray a sample larger than the tiny little 1" chip in a book. My painter mixed up three variations of the color I wanted in various shades. He also painted a black stripe down the middle of each so I could see what it might look like. Sure helped, as I was planning on going a lighter gray, but after seeing the mockup on a old fender, the darker just looked way better to me.
Don't let your friends tell you what your car should be. I had a lot of suggestions from my frineds, so i finally made up a jar with a slot in the top and marked it,"Money to do suggestions".
Whenever anyone would suggest something different than I planned, I'd point to the suggestion jar and tell them to drop the money into the jar and I'd consider it. Otherwise just stand back and watch, cause it's my money paying for it, not theirs.

Oh by the way! You should turn your engine 90 degrees or all the oil will run out! PLus that may be custom, but your friends will think it's weird installed on it's side!

Old 12-17-2009, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Before you have the car painted, (and after you decide on a color) have your paint shop mix it up and spray a sample larger than the tiny little 1" chip in a book. My painter mixed up three variations of the color I wanted in various shades. He also painted a black stripe down the middle of each so I could see what it might look like. Sure helped, as I was planning on going a lighter gray, but after seeing the mockup on a old fender, the darker just looked way better to me.
Don't let your friends tell you what your car should be. I had a lot of suggestions from my frineds, so i finally made up a jar with a slot in the top and marked it,"Money to do suggestions".
Whenever anyone would suggest something different than I planned, I'd point to the suggestion jar and tell them to drop the money into the jar and I'd consider it. Otherwise just stand back and watch, cause it's my money paying for it, not theirs.

Oh by the way! You should turn your engine 90 degrees or all the oil will run out! PLus that may be custom, but your friends will think it's weird installed on it's side!
thats a good idea. im going to have to start my own jar lol

Old 12-18-2009, 05:58 AM

camarogut71... im defintiley not building the car to sell it, that would be a waist of my time... i do agree with making the car the way i want.. i just dont know what i want thats why im looking for ideas... as far as the tires go, i think im going to do with the 275 they sound like good tires if you have a pair.. and the seats i love the idea of the same color as the car so ill probally get 'camaro' stiched in the head.. thank you

Old 12-18-2009, 06:02 AM

1971bb427... i totaly agree with the money part... but the thing is i dont have my mind made up on what im doing... as far as color goes im just looking to see what people like im a big fan of the red and black so im probally going to go with that... i just dont know what shade of red... as far as turning the engine... im lost on that part lol

Old 12-18-2009, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleClutch
camarogut71... im defintiley not building the car to sell it, that would be a waist of my time... i do agree with making the car the way i want.. i just dont know what i want thats why im looking for ideas... as far as the tires go, i think im going to do with the 275 they sound like good tires if you have a pair.. and the seats i love the idea of the same color as the car so ill probally get 'camaro' stiched in the head.. thank you
I've seen a few cars with the stitching in the seats like that and they look amazing. If you do that, do it in the same color as the car for sure. You might also seriously consider having the stitches that hold the fabric/leather seat panels together be in red too. it's subtle but its sets the car off in the interior and ties it together. Especially if you go with a dark color upholstery.

as for color, you might look at a color similar to this: Ferrari Rosso Rubino Metalizado http://www.jb330gt.com/color/1995FerrariBig.jpg
or even the red on the new camaro: http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-20...t-1280x960.jpg

(btw, what he meant by turning the engine, was that the pic you posted was sideways) lol.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:11 AM

haha i get the picture now.. and the stiching sounds like a great idea. Thank you im defintiley doing that!>>> as far as the color im really liking the new camaro red... htas a really nice color id like to have on my car... and as far as the engine... im putting the 350 crate in the car when i finish it... but i just bought a 454 big block... im so ecited!!!! after the cars finished im going through the engine and building it up... then putting it in my camaro!! i cant wait... that cars going to have so much power!

Quick Reply: what to do to a 1970 camaro?