what to do to a 1970 camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:47 AM
Default what to do to a 1970 camaro?

I have a 1970 Camaro and its in the middle of restoration.. the bodys done and now its just putting everything back into it... I was just wondering what are some things I could buy that could make my Camaro look and sound great.. So far i have a new 350 crate moter... brand new exhaust... orginal rims... orginal dash.. pritty much everythings orginal besides the engine.. I was just seeing if anyone had any good ideas to make this car look great.. I love the the design of the new 2010 camaro and love the interior.. if anyone has any ideas please post a comment.. Thank you all and have a fun time on CamaroFourms

Last edited by PurpleClutch; 12-16-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

....is?
Jeez, I just hate cliff-hangers. Now i don't think I'm gonna be able to sleep tonight!

Old 12-16-2009, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Sound is mostly going to come from your engine and exhaust system which you already have so unless you're after something different, there's not a whole lot more to do there. Do you already have it set up as a dual exhaust?

As far as looks, it's really all in what you like. I clean paint that is smooth and really shiny along with proper sheet metal gaps in my opinion is what makes a car look really good on the outside. You can change other things...wider tires will make it look meaner IMO along with rear fender flares. As far as the interior, you could get a gauge cluster from summit or Dakota digital, bilit steering wheel/ column, leather or simulated leather covered seats. If you have the time and experience or money, you could even go as far as to have a custom dash made from fiber glass or something and paint it the same color as the car, then you can make the gauge cluster however you want it to look. It really depends on what you want and what style you like. Those are things I really like in these cars.

Last edited by CamaroGuy71; 12-16-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds like your direction is towards a bone stock restoration, since you've purchased everything stock to replace the parts you need? I suppose you could buy a dress up kit for the engine, plus a few chrome additions like the radiator hold down, and the core support brackets. Maybe a master cylinder chrome top.
If you want to get a little astray from stock, you could also go with a serpentine belt system with smaller pulleys to gain a little HP for the new engine. Since you're going for stock wheels, you can still buy some low profile wide tires, as long as you don't go too wide for the rims. If you have n't purchased seats yet, or recovered them, then you could go a little custom there too.
You've already purchased exhausts, so if you wanted something different, it's a little late, unless you sold the system you have. If it doesn't come with headers, that would be a nice addition.
If you're in the middle, then it's probably not too late to choose paint colors. You can decide to go for a stock look there too, or go custom colors. I chose to go with colors that were definitely not available in 1971, (when mine was built) but not anything really radical like flames, pinstripes, or graphics. You can change up the colors, or try a variation on SS stripes, or all one color. Lots of choices.
Let us know what you're considering. A little guidance by you will help with input from the forum.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:16 AM

Yes Camaroguy71 i do have brand new dual exhausts for my baby. i was also thinking about wider tires in the rear... do you know any good sizes for good brands?... I dont even know the exact color i want yet... I want a nice red with black racing stripes... Give me some good ideas on things i can do to it. thanks!

Old 12-17-2009, 07:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes

If your car doesn't have the RS option (split bumper, small round turn light inboard of the headlights) thats a great look in my opinion. You'll have to find the sheet metal to make the change, maybe ebay, craigs list. just my thoughts.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:28 AM

yes heathen... my car is the 1970 camaro rally sport. its an orginal rally sport so

Old 12-17-2009, 12:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Thumbs up

IMO you are already heading in the right direction by keeping the stock look. If you want it to be red, why not go with the 70 stock red?

Old 12-17-2009, 02:14 PM

idk... everyone says 'keep it stock itll be worth more in the long run' but still i want the car to look nice and sound mean.... as far as color goes i dont even know yet... i liked the red but im thinking about a red that wasnt out in 1970.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:35 PM

My engine actually has a dress up kit on it already.. ill see what i can do to upload some pictures... I do have black ss seats riped... and blue rally sport seats blue... Actually since you said i can get custom with that... thats actually something i would be intrested in.. im also getting the 2 stripes down the middle of the car too..

Quick Reply: what to do to a 1970 camaro?