What did you do to your camaro today

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

Pretty slick there Vall. Be careful with her. Especially when you go posi with some gears.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Pablo63
Pretty slick there Vall. Be careful with her. Especially when you go posi with some gears.
Oh yeah! I'm kinda worried about a car with such a short wheelbase and posi. I plan to go with some gears around 3.42 to maybe 3.73, but leaning more towards the 3.42's as I hope they will help tame it a bit.
I think it's a bit faster than the Camaro, but it's just so spooky I can't tell for sure!

You guys will enjoy this. This is what an original looks like:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._8_ca_1946.jpg

Old 12-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Overdrive Member

Didn't we talk about the *** pucker the solid axle front will cause? Ha! Wait until the tunnel ram sits in its home. I love how the seat sits in the middle of the rear door window. Gonna cage it? You need at least one pass to find out what it runs. If your still scared I'll fly out for the weekend and flog it for ya.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:36 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Didn't we talk about the *** pucker the solid axle front will cause? Ha! Wait until the tunnel ram sits in its home. I love how the seat sits in the middle of the rear door window. Gonna cage it? You need at least one pass to find out what it runs. If your still scared I'll fly out for the weekend and flog it for ya.
The straight axle isn't contributing to the pucker factor. It drives beautifully and with smooth road and even pedal I can let go of the wheel and she tracks beautifully. I set the king pins at 7 degrees negative, which I am told really helps these axles track well. Steers nice too, even without power steering, but I expected that with a light car and short wheelbase.
I think the pucker factor is more a case of power to weight to wheelbase factor. Kinda weird to have a car try to fishtail while the front is trying to climb. I can easily steer through that scenario with the Camaro, but this thing reacts much quicker with the short wheelbase.
But if I need a driver I'll drop you an email!

Old 12-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Overdrive Member

Will race for food.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well, I'll put you on the Christmas dinner list Damon!

Old 12-11-2010, 12:41 AM
Overdrive Member

Alright, now were talkin. Ham or turkey? LOL

Old 12-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I tore into the carbs on my Holley Pro Dominator tunnel ram today. Figured I better ensure they were in good shape before I swap intakes. Good thing I did because both had issues.
I bought this setup used and cheap, so didn't expect much, but holy cow! One carb had cardboard folded up inside the secondary bowl to keep a sticky float from overflowing, but other than that it just needed a kit. The other had never been rebuilt, and I nearly didn't get it apart! Gaskets were frozen on so bad that I thought I'd crack the bowls getting them off. The metering plate inside the secondaries had all 6 screws stuck so badly that I had to drill the heads out and pry the plate off. Then twist the shanks of the screws out and go buy some new ones at the local hardware store.
At least they both were solid and didn't need their shafts bushed. This coming week I'll pull the Edelbrock Performer and Eddy carb off, and install the tunnel ram. Then it's just tuning it for the dual 450's and I can move on to interior work on the Austin project.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:09 AM
2nd Gear member

I had the same problem with the used holley i bought.It had never been rebuilt,and like you said the gaskets were stuck so good i thought for sure i was going to crack the bowls trying to get them off.When i finally got it apart the screws inside all came out fairly easy,but on top of the rebuild kit i ended up needing to buy a new metering block because the one in it had little spider cracks all through it,and i had to buy new floats because the ones in there did'nt look to be in very good shape.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Amazing what a guy finds inside sometimes. I try not to buy used carbs usually, but since they came with the tunnel ram I figured I'd give them a rebuild if they were solid. I usually toss any that are bad enough to need the shafts bushed. Well not really "toss", but I sell them for whatever someone will pay for a parts carb.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your camaro today