Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 12:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

whats holding you back???

Old 12-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by kyles_81camaro
whats holding you back???
1) I need to figure out were to mount my fuel pump. I want a nice clean install but the only spot is up behind the tank were the transverse muffler used to hang. But I want to run the new Flowmaster transverse muffler to gain ground clearance. I could use my fuel cell but the floors on this car are mint and painted gloss black, can't bring myself from cutting it up.

2) Money, Christmas is kickin my ***, plus I just started a new job and don't get paided for the holidays until mid January. No insurance either. Two small boys that are constantly catching colds from daycare. Taxes are coming!

3) Time, I work and go to school 5 days a week. I bowl leagues on Sunday night with the family. Plus I'm trying to plan an autocross event for when Power Tour comes in June. Second shift isn't helping either.

4) Its freakin cold out. I don't have a garage so my car is at my dads who is unemployed. I do my best to not go and run his electric bill up with heaters and the air compressor. I am working on getting a house with a garage.

I have done a few things in the basement like POR 15 the front bumper assembly and converted the stock idiot lights to gauges. (kind of tricky going from 78 to 80). I built the brackets to move the seat back. I also bead blasted a ton of stuff and coated the brake booster about 20 times sanding in between to get rid of the pitting.

Short term plans include getting the brakes completely done. Getting the power steering brackets blasted and painted. Getting the engine fired for the first time and getting the driveshaft in. All small things but they are all adding up to time and money that I don't have.

Sorry for the long read but you asked.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:18 PM
2nd Gear member

[quote=77nomad;485796]1)
2) Money, Taxes are coming!

3) Second shift isn't helping either.

quote]

I know exactly how you feel man.Tax time is when i make all the big purchases for parts that i need,this year it will be the new motor and tranny,and a new gas tank.Gotta love tax time when you have kids haha.
I worked second shift for a year and a half,absolutely hated it.Could'nt get anything done during the week because between the time i woke up and the time i had to leave,i only had maybe 3 hours a day,then when the weekend came i was so worn down from the week that all i did was sit around and relax.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Overdrive Member

Old 12-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Had a huge day on the Austin today! Got the driveline installed and finished up the tranny shifter. Took a couple hours and did a major clean up of my work area canopy so I could get down to some serious finish work.
Cleaned out the inside of the Austin also and vacuumed the floors in prep for paint. Painted the floors with semigloss sealer, and bolted the seats back in.
Name:  aus125.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  91.9 KB
Name:  aus121.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  129.3 KB
Got the last of my brake parts for the frontend and assembled one of my disc brake assemblies.
Name:  aus123.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  97.2 KB
Got my LED lights for the front turn signals finally and retrofitted them to my old front marker lights. I can't believe how well they fit into the old housings, and they are so much brighter!
Got the hangers done on the exhaust system, so it's complete too!
Name:  aus124.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  89.7 KB
Tomorrow I'll finish up the driver's side disc brake and then bleed the system. After that it's ready for it's maiden voyage! Lots of other things to do on it, but I'm pretty excited to see how it runs and handles!!

Old 12-08-2010, 11:25 PM
2nd Gear member

Man that thing looks sick! can't wait to see it finished.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Overdrive Member

Its tradition in my family to go for the maiden voyage (that's what we call it too) with open headers so the neighbors all come out to see whats going on.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Its tradition in my family to go for the maiden voyage (that's what we call it too) with open headers so the neighbors all come out to see whats going on.
Well as you can see it's pretty easy to have open headers the way I built the eexhaust. My reason for welding the exhaust into the side of the headers was so I could uncap them anytime I wanted to make a grand entry!

Old 12-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Almost forgot! The '71 Camaro made a donation to the project too! My old low profile air cleaner. Needed something temporarliy until I swap intakes!

Old 12-09-2010, 11:40 AM
2nd Gear member

Alright I'm gonna post the noob idiot question of the thread here probably, hey Val, why's that hose on the front of the carb going to the valve cover? for PCV?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your camaro today