Engine shut off question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:01 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Alrighty then. Wait till the engine is bone cold, then remove the air cleaner and see if the choke butterfly is closed, or most of the way closed. I have a feeling the choke is either not closed enough, or just not working at all.
yeah i agree, mine is very fussy, i keep a screwdriver in the arm rest i have to adjust it so often, it should, at bone cold, only be open a slight bit, if it is one of the smaller screw drivers then that should just fit in the butterfly, also i had this problem combined with screwy seals, spray carb cleaner all around the bottem of the carb and if all of a sudden it runs like a champ, then u found a nice big leak somewhere where it bolts to the engine.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:47 AM

Ok so i checked out my chocke and its wide open, when i press on the gas it doesn't move at all. So im guessing thats whats wrong haha, it also has a slow fuel leak near the front seal. Anyone know how to fix one of these or should i just buy a new one?

Old 12-31-2009, 01:42 AM
2nd Gear member

uhm. choke should just stay open. it should be closed when its cold. and open after its warmed up u playing with the pedal wont affect the choke any. i kinda had some odd problems like your describing. it just cuts out randomly kinda has to do with E choke. if i were you i would go to a manual choke carb and wire in a choke cable (10$) and be done with w.e crap u have there.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Sungeun
Ok so i checked out my chocke and its wide open, when i press on the gas it doesn't move at all. So im guessing thats whats wrong haha, it also has a slow fuel leak near the front seal. Anyone know how to fix one of these or should i just buy a new one?
Alright, it's obvious your choke isn't closing on a cold engine. For now we're going to have to assume you have a Quadrajet. Your issue could be the choke coil adjustment, a binding linkage, or disconnected linkage. Take a look at this service manual: http://www.bdub.net/manuals/Quadraje...anual_1981.pdf
Pages 16-21 covers the choke, you need to find which style you have. Also with having a leak, a carb rebuild would be the right thing to do. Is that something you're capable of?

Originally Posted by brownstone101
uhm. choke should just stay open. it should be closed when its cold. and open after its warmed up u playing with the pedal wont affect the choke any.
Since I asked him to check the choke with the engine bone cold, I'm figuring that's what he did. Also, after the engine is cold again, the choke coil winds up and puts tension on the choke mechanism. Tapping the gas pedal before starting trips the choke linkage and closes the choke butterfly.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:07 PM

I'm sure I can do it, shouldn't be too hard the guy I bought this car from said it was in good shape and said he was a mechanic so yeah haha. If I run into any problems I'll ask people around here. Not great with cars but I do wanna know figured this would be a great car to learn with. If I rebuild the carb will I be able to fix the choke along with it?

Old 12-31-2009, 01:10 PM
2nd Gear member

o i didnt know that. im use to manual chokes and i tossed my E choke with my Qjet away in the parts junk pile.

it ended up the E choke was grounding out my gauge cluster and messed up my fuel gauge and would cause it to randomly cut out on the freeway cause it was grounding stuff out that should be grounding out. they did a bad job messed things up. but the manual choke fixed all of it.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:18 AM

Where can I go to pick up a carb rebuild kit. Went to autozone to see if they have one but they only had a holly carbuerator for sale.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

AutoZone has rebuild kits: Carb Rebuild Kits
Sounds like you need to find someone there who knows how to look up parts.
You need to look at your carb to make sure of which kind you have. Factory was the Rochester Q-jet, and that's what you would have as long as no previous owner swapped to a different kind.