82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

will not shut off

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Default will not shut off

hey when I turn the ignition off my car still wants to keep running but it acts like it sputters and like just keeps going I dont know how to explain it

Old 05-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: will not shut off

Sounds like you may be describing run-on (dieseling)?
1) Is your engine running hot?
2) Severe carbon deposits on the pistons and in the heads can cause hot spots that can make the fuel keep burning after ignition is switched off.
3) If you hot-wired your cooling fan, and if it's still switched on when you shut down, it can act as a generator as it's free-wheeling and give your ignition a power feedback to allow the engine to continue running for a couple seconds.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:30 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

2) Severe carbon deposits on the pistons and in the heads can cause hot spots that can make the fuel keep burning after ignition is switched off.
3) If you hot-wired your cooling fan, and if it's still switched on when you shut down, it can act as a generator as it's free-wheeling and give your ignition a power feedback to allow the engine to continue running for a couple seconds.
no no no....my diagnosis? ITS POSESSED!! THAT THUR KAMERO IS EVIL!!! just kiddin we all know camaros are eveil...

Old 05-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: irocktheIROC

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

no no no....my diagnosis? ITS POSESSED!! THAT THUR KAMERO IS EVIL!!! just kiddin we all know camaros are eveil...
no no no no....the real problem is that Camaros are so great, they just won't die!!! Yeah, that's it!!!!

Old 05-14-2008, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member

all of the above....Camaros are amazing friends, yes, i treat mine as a friend...i even tuck it in..Hahaha

Old 05-16-2008, 06:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Im just putting this out there but maybe the throttle cable is set to high? But i don't know anything so you shouldn't listein to me.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member

i now my friends ford truck with a 429 cobra jet duz that to but it stops when he run 93 octane

Old 05-20-2008, 07:08 PM
2nd Gear member

thats cause itsa ford duh

Old 05-20-2008, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey, mine does that. Although my engine is set up completely different then yours, I do have a temporary solution of sorts. I have to have my idle way up, because my engine is really cold-blooded. It wont stay idling in gear unless its really warm. Basically, at operating temp, my engine idles at 900-1000 in gear, but in park or neutral, it goes up to like 1500-2000. If I shut my car off at the higher rpm, then it diesels for a good 5 seconds. To get it to shut off clean, I have to put it from reverse, and then park, and turn off my ignition before my rpm increases.
I have heard of a mechanism that ford used on their cars in the past, that I think acts like a choke. so it starves it as you turn it off. But, I'm not sure. I've just begun to look into it, I really don't like monkey business with my car. I just want to fix it right lol. I'll tell you if I come across anything.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:07 AM
Overdrive Member

Does your idle high so it will not die when you put it in gear? If so then you may want a stall converter.
And another thing people should check is their timing. It can cause hot spots. Has any one ever had thier timing so far off it caused their exhaust manifolds to glow?

Quick Reply: will not shut off