do you consider 1975-81 camaros, muscle cars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: do you consider 1975-81 camaros, muscle cars?

Yes. My deffinition is a bit different than 69's in that I consider a muscle car to be:
A. 2 door
B. V-8
C. American (could be a sub, like Holden)
D. Common in afordable and available.

mostly, subject to change... so my answer is yes.
That would define car that could be hot rodded not a muscle car.

So a gremlin or a mavric is a muscle Car? NoI agree with"Camaro 69"that the car had to be sold as a preformance car. 70 318 Dodge Dart is Not a muscle car. 70 dart with 426 fiberglass frontend and back seat deleteall from the factory, that is a muscle car. In some circle even Camarosare not muscle cars. They are concidered Pony cars. In some circles ONLY COPO Camarosare concidered true muscle cars.

I bought my 74 Z28 clone in 79 I made the mistake of saying it was a muscle car around my motor head friends man did I get blasted as a moron. That was 29 years ago. I guess thas why I don't see a lot of wiggle room on weather a 75 pacer is a muscle car

Old 11-19-2008, 12:38 PM
BackseatBob

In reply to '92 RS.... Your car isn't a muscle car because it was built by someone, it didn't come out of the factory that way. It's a strong motor and more than likely lots of fun to drive, but it's not a true muscle car because it was not MADE as a muscle car. It's a wanna-be muscle car, nothing more. Now, I say this owning a '75 RS that I plan on building to 500 horses, but it still will NOT be a muscle car, thought closer than any other Camaro in '75 since they killed the z28; the RS had the strongest engine in it in '75.It may borderline the definition;but a muscle car would be the strongest or close to the strongest, factory car you cna get, a V8 swap into a V6 car does NOT make a muscle car. I think Pony Car is the best bet on a definition for this year range...

Old 11-19-2008, 11:42 PM

Well, one term I am still confused with is "hot rod" and all it's variations.

So, if I were to put a big block engine in to my 1980 Z28 Camaro, rather than be a muscle car, it would simply be a hot rodded pony. Is that correct?

Old 11-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

hot rodded pony
Sounds right to me,

One question I would ask the people that think all Camaros are Muscle cars. What yearsis the Muscle car ERA? Its a common pharse. Also Can a car that is not from that ERA be a Muscle car?

Old 11-20-2008, 09:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Sorry, but no.
A muscle car, 64-74 GTO comes to mind as an example, will slam you back in the seat without thinking about it. You can't find a "slow" one. A typical 75-81 camaro requires aftermarket work to achieve this feeling; you could get it with a 6 cylinder, this screams "I am not a muscle car!" Certain models are definitely really fast, i'm not debating that, but they did not come from the factory as 1/4 mile monsters in mass quantities. I consider these more of a sports car... strong power, great handling, smaller car. Cornering and handling does not fit with a muscle car, take your Camaro through a slolem course and you will stomp any culturally accepted muscle car. This does not mean your camaro is less impressive than a muscle car, it is just a different class of vehicle, designed to feel the road rather than just shred it with raw power.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:11 AM

Hmmm, this thread has given me much to think about, being an absolutenovice with little knowledge but much passion.

The 1980 z28 seems to be in a limbo of sorts, but knowing it can be considered either a muscle or a sports is comforting, and provides food for thought as I strive to shape my own standards and understand an industry I was born 30-40 years too late to take advantage of.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: Maximorpheus

an industry I was born 30-40 years too late to take advantage of.

I agree... I have always been crazy about the legendary GM cars from the 60s and 70s; GTO Chevelle, Camaro, 442.... Yeah, I'd take any of them over anything you can get brand new these days, but they're getting really hard to find. I've had a few of the above, but there's now telling how much trouble i would've gotten into if I had been able to get them when they were new. I'd probably sit around crying about the one I wrapped around a tree... I can only dream about the day they were on every corner, and now they only get harder to get. The last GTO I built with my dad went for over 100k at Barret Jackson-for the guy we sold it to, not us That is a constant reminder to enjoy what you've got, you may never afford to replace it

Old 12-17-2008, 03:45 PM

ya know. that is a very good qeustion.. to be muscul i geuss u do need a factory motor with at least 300hp. the factory in the 77 for instance came with like 210.. thats realy weak. now adays we new motor heads dont care if its a "muscle" car or a K car.. if we want power were going to swap the motor anyways. so the new phrase is "Proformance". so then the question is.. once a2g has a 645cid bbc does is make it a "muscle" car.. i say YES and NO.i know this sounds contadicting but i love my 77 and im in the works of making into a beast. weather its a "muscal" car or not.

this aslo brings another good question up.. if a 2g gets a "ricer" motor does it make it a tuner car.. ? i thingk so