Cleaning up the clutter in engine compartment, have a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:35 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Cleaning up the clutter in engine compartment, have a couple questions

I'm trying to tidy up the engine compartment before I put the 327 in and I have a couple of questions before I mess something up. If anyone could share some insight/guidance that would be fantastic. Here goes:

1. Getting rid of the cruise control. I'm thinking that I'll need a new speedo cable once I remove these? Not sure if the cable from the tranny to the control module on the dr. side inner fender will be long enough and it also looks like a different type of connecter? Haven't tried to see if it'll reach but thought I'd ask before taking the stuff out.

2. Windshield wiper motor/pump. I doubt i'll need the wipers anymore but want to keep the wipers/motor but get rid of the pump and fluid tank. Can this be done?

3. A/C and Heater - I've decided to keep the heater but get rid of what's left of the a/c. I know I'll need to get some kind of block off plate but not sure how to tackle the actual removal. What else is involved in this process after I get the junk off the firewall? If anyone could share some tips on this whole process I would appreciate it very much.

As always, any help is sincerely appreciated.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

1. i did the same thing, i removed the transducer for the cruise but the cable from the trans does not reach. i brought my old in to autozone and they found one that matched mine and it worked.

2. not sure if anyone else will chime in on this one, but might be possible to just remove the fluid box and lines going to it, and find out which wires are for the actual sprayer and cut em at the wiper switch so it doesnt pump anymore? maybe?

3. my car was already missing the ac compressor, so i tore the stuff off the firewall and kept all the wires, i just tucked em away behind the custom box i made to cover up the old unit. i didnt want to cut any wires, i didnt know if any of them are for heater or other stuff i still need.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:07 AM
2nd Gear member

If the cruise control still works,try and get it all out,there are alot of people that will pay good money for the complete cruise setup if it works correctly.
On removing the a/c,the box on the firewall just unbolts,then there are some wires that need to be removed.If you want to keep the heat,a block off plate wont work,your best bet for an easy change is to get an a/c delete box.They will bolt right up,and all you have to do is swap over the blower motor,resistor,and the small square relay looking thing,i forget what it's called,but anyway swap those items onto the new box and reconnect the wires for them.Fairly easy job to do.Here is a pic of mine with the a/c delete box installed,as you can see there is alot more room,and i still kept the heat functional,just be careful with the heater core tubes that stick out so you dont crack one like i did haha.
Name:  P1012635.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  93.9 KB

Old 04-22-2012, 10:31 AM
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I was pretty sure I'd need a new speedo cable so I'll have to get one. The cruise control is almost all there, except for the control switch on the steering column. It was broke off when I bought the car. I'm looking to just remove the pump for the wipers, do you know if that's do-able B.M.? Is the a/c delete box just a piece of plastic or is there more to it? Can't get over how much those things cost! Is there any way you can post another pic up close to the delete box B.M.? Can you post a pic of yours too Mike? Curious to see what you did with yours too. Again, thanks for the insight.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:56 PM
2nd Gear member

The cruise parts would probably still sell,they sell the replacement part for the column but not the other parts.As for the delete box,yeah thats pretty much all there is to them,either plastic or the ones like mine that are made of fiberglass,and i agree they are definitely pricey haha,i think i gave like $160 with shipping and all for mine,but i hated that big a/c box so i figured why not haha.I tried to get a close up in the car,but it goes up behind the fender and you cant see much,so here is a pic before i installed it.I have also seen a few people cut the big bulky section off the a/c box,then put fiberglass across the opening to make it smooth and seal it up,i tried that first and it came out horrible haha,but if you have the patience and are good with fiberglass that may be an option.
Name:  acdeletebox.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  48.0 KB

Old 04-22-2012, 09:37 PM
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for putting that pic up, that's what I'm gonna have to do I guess. Don't want to spend that kind of money for a piece of plastic/fiberglass but I'm no different than anybody else. Add it to the list of things to spend more money on. I just found out today that the roller rockers that I bought (used) for my 327 are for 7/16 studs and mine are 3/8. Wish I could just buy smaller polylocks but don't think that'll work too good? Can't believe it. I wanted to get screw in studs but didn't want to have to take the heads off and do all that extra work on something that has worked flawlessly for so many years for the PO. I'm just sick over that, sorry to rant. $160 for an a/c delete box is cheaper than $350 for new rocker arms!

Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 PM
2nd Gear member

Haha,i hear ya,i hated spending it to,but i hated that big ugly box just a little more.I agree though,thats the worst part about messing with these old cars is everything is crazy expensive,and nothing ever seems to go right when you find a deal.On a side note though,if you decide to go with new rockers,check jegs or summit,they have some nice ones for right $200,i think jegs has harland sharp rockers for like $229,then sell off the ones you have to recuope some of your money.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:36 AM
3rd Gear Member

I agree with you, I can understand some parts being more pricey due to lack of availability etc. but some things are just too pricey for no real reason. I can't imagine the a/c delete box costing more than $20 to produce and the price they get for them is a pretty substantial mark up. Complaining isnt going to get me a delete box so I'll stop. lol I wonder if I can find a used one on Ebay? Can't hurt to try I guess. Thanks very much again for throwing up those pics!
With regard to the rocker arm issue, I think the smart thing for me to do for a number of reasons, would be to just pull the heads and get the screw in studs and do them up right. The cam in my 327 is pretty stout at 295/295 and .534 lift to not be using screw in studs. Like I mentioned, the PO had no problems with it the way it was but for the money, I'd be ignorant not to get the ARP studs. I've already got guideplates too that I wasn't going to be able to use also. Cost wise, I could get the new gaskets, studs and the removal/aligning tool and tap for 1/3 the cost of new rockers.

Another side note, anybody need any parts? I found a guy (not very local but worth the trip) that's parting out 5 or 6 different 70-81 Camaros and I'm going to go "load up" myself. I've seen people on here before looking for the Z/28 grille badges and this guy has 4 of 'em! Stuff I don't need but I'm picking up anyway. Lemme know if I can try and grab something for anyone!