Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Cleaning in the engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Cleaning in the engine compartment

Any suggestions on how to best clean all the grime and undercoating in my engine compartment? I have removed the engine and I want to clean everything before I put the engine back in.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Default RE: Cleaning in the engine compartment

idk about what to use with the engine out...but for a quick job before a show or something i like to use simple green...and dont dilute it...it gets the dirt and grime right up and works fairly well considering the short amount of time i usually have...it worked awesome when i bought the car and the intake and covers had crap all over them...

Old 11-07-2007, 11:42 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nscfn8

idk about what to use with the engine out...but for a quick job before a show or something i like to use simple green...and dont dilute it...it gets the dirt and grime right up and works fairly well considering the short amount of time i usually have...it worked awesome when i bought the car and the intake and covers had crap all over them...
Do you just spray the Simple Green in the engine compartment, and then rinse it away, or do you actually have to wipe/scrub it then rinse?

Old 11-09-2007, 06:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well I picked up some Simple Green Max today and hopefully will be able to try it out in the engine compartment this weekend if it doesn't rain.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:22 AM

i wipe it off just in case it doesnt pick all of it up...lemme kno how it works out for you..

Old 11-10-2007, 12:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

It works great. I used the Simple Green Max and an older microfiber towel I previously washed. It looks and smells clean . My only problem are those hard to reach tight spots. Maybe I'll spray some Simple Green in those places, run a little water, then blow it out with the compressor.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:46 AM

hi, i have used varsol/paint thinnerfor real grimmy areas the grease and grime practically run off by itself.only ever tried it in the engine bay area.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:48 AM
4th Gear Member

im going out to wash mine right now lol, ill let you know how it turned out...

Old 11-12-2007, 06:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

Um...I have a great idea. No engine in engine bay.. Wrap plastic bags around all your wire harness, get yourself a average pressure washer. Buy some engine brite, soak the engine bay and spray the **** out of it with high pressure water. BAMMMM... clean engine bay.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:01 PM
4th Gear Member

thanks bay...

Quick Reply: Cleaning in the engine compartment