Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://camaroforums.com/forum/detailing-35/)
-   -   Cleaning in the engine compartment (https://camaroforums.com/forum/detailing-35/cleaning-engine-compartment-20381/)

sante65 10-22-2007 12:43 PM

Cleaning in the engine compartment

Any suggestions on how to best clean all the grime and undercoating in my engine compartment? I have removed the engine and I want to clean everything before I put the engine back in.

nscfn8 11-07-2007 10:44 PM

RE: Cleaning in the engine compartment

idk about what to use with the engine out...but for a quick job before a show or something i like to use simple green...and dont dilute it...it gets the dirt and grime right up and works fairly well considering the short amount of time i usually have...it worked awesome when i bought the car and the intake and covers had crap all over them...

The Banks 11-07-2007 11:42 PM

ORIGINAL: nscfn8

idk about what to use with the engine out...but for a quick job before a show or something i like to use simple green...and dont dilute it...it gets the dirt and grime right up and works fairly well considering the short amount of time i usually have...it worked awesome when i bought the car and the intake and covers had crap all over them...
Do you just spray the Simple Green in the engine compartment, and then rinse it away, or do you actually have to wipe/scrub it then rinse?

The Banks 11-09-2007 06:51 PM

Well I picked up some Simple Green Max today and hopefully will be able to try it out in the engine compartment this weekend if it doesn't rain.

nscfn8 11-10-2007 10:22 AM

i wipe it off just in case it doesnt pick all of it up...lemme kno how it works out for you..

The Banks 11-10-2007 12:59 PM

It works great. I used the Simple Green Max and an older microfiber towel I previously washed. It looks and smells clean :). My only problem are those hard to reach tight spots. Maybe I'll spray some Simple Green in those places, run a little water, then blow it out with the compressor.

tonkabully 11-12-2007 12:46 AM

hi, i have used varsol/paint thinnerfor real grimmy areas the grease and grime practically run off by itself.only ever tried it in the engine bay area.

bluovlh8er 11-12-2007 07:48 AM

im going out to wash mine right now lol, ill let you know how it turned out...

Chappie99 11-12-2007 06:30 PM

Um...I have a great idea. No engine in engine bay.. Wrap plastic bags around all your wire harness, get yourself a average pressure washer. Buy some engine brite, soak the engine bay and spray the **** out of it with high pressure water. BAMMMM... clean engine bay.

bluovlh8er 11-13-2007 01:01 PM

thanks bay...