Baby Girl Comes Home

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 09:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by bruce69camaro
How did the rear end swap go for you guys?

We are going to be welding the perches today. We spent the last couple of weekends changing the mono leaf with multi leaf and replacing all the rubber grommets. What a job that was. We also put new ujoints on the drive shaft. One end has what is called a bastard kit so it will bolt up to the TA rear end. Also sanded on that old driveshaft to get it ready for paint. Multi leafs are all bolted in with the rear end sitting on the perches so we can mark our spots for welding. Will let you know how it goes once we get her back on the rear tires.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Been awhile since I updated. A couple of weeks ago we got the doors, fenders, and radiator core support on to see how everything lines up. Since we bought the car in pieces we were a little nervous. Everything is looking good. She is beginning to look like a car again. Hubby has some metal work to do on the fenders and then we start sanding the body. We will finish welding in the rear end after we get done sanding and painting and can drop in the motor, trans, and drive shaft. Will post some new pics soon.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:30 PM

Keep up the good work! It will pay off soon.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Nov 2013 Sanding

We finally had some time to work on Baby Girl. We spent a day last weekend and today sanding and scraping getting that old red paint off. What we discovered? Poor Baby had 3 coats of paint on her, with primer and filler in between. We also found the reason why there was so much body filler on the drivers door. Looks like Baby Girl had some damage done to the door with dents and ripples all over the metal. Hubby says he might be able to fix it, but if not we will just have to order a new outer skin. It was still awesome to see some progress on the body and getting her down to metal.
:icon _headbang:

Name:  Nov2013Sanding.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  206.7 KB

Name:  Nov2013Sanding3.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  272.7 KB

Name:  Nov2013Sanding4.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  201.9 KB

Name:  Nov2013Sanding2.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  159.2 KB

Hope to talk to you all soon with more progress. Have the Epoxy Primer on order. If anyone has any suggestions, we would love to hear them. We are planning on taking her down to bare metal, then prepping the metal with metal prep solution, rinse, epoxy primer, skim coating with filler, then white high build primer, then Hugger Orange paint (pearl white stripes), and of course clear coat.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Nice looking so far. Keep up the good work and we need more pics

Old 11-10-2013, 05:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

keep up the good work!

Old 10-27-2018, 08:39 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, it's been a long time since I've posted, and a lot has happened since then. Progress on Baby Girl has been slow, but she has been completely stripped down to metal and the body prep work is almost done, and she is in primer. Still a few spots to do. Fix the drivers door, or just replace it, is still a question.

Work has come to a complete hault since I went through a divorce this year. So, this project will no longer be a hubby and wife project. I'll now be seeking others to help me finish putting her together. Baby Girl is back in storage once again until next year. I had to move into an apartment as my son is a Senior in High School this year and I didn't want him to change school districts. Next year I buy a house with a garage of course, and work will start back up to get this car finished. Luckily I have lots of friends that are car buffs!!!!!

I can't wait until next year. It will be a major decision.....do I pay someone to help me finish her, or do I sell her?? A big part of me wants to finish her, so I can throw it in the ex's face, lol. I've had this car for 7 years and it's still not done. Just think if I could get it all done in a year after my divorce!!!

Below are pics of one of my car buff friends helping me to get her picked up and put in storage for now.