what would you do if you could start all over

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:33 PM
Default what would you do if you could start all over

hi every one love all your cars they look great bought my 1st 69 camaro for $5000 Vin says its av8 car x11 on fire wallhasrebuilt 406sb 14.1 comp dynoed at 435 hp rebuilt th350 trans alljust done but thebody needs both floors front to back,trunk pan, left rocker, filler betweenrear glass and deck lid, both rear quarters and paintfrom what i can see on a hoistbut who knows until you take it apartdo you think its worth all the work or would you just by a aftermarket body and start from there in know very expensivebut will the car be worth more with the original body or aftermarket or would you sell what i have and buy one done i also have Vin, title & fire wall tag off a different 69 camaro that was junked can you put them on a aftermarket body and drive trainbe legali have two friends that do body work but you all know how that goes they say its easytill itstime to help please let me know what you would do what costs have you come acrossI've been a mechanic for 18 years butknow nothing about body work what would have you done different if you started over thanks in advance

Old 03-20-2008, 12:55 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: what would you do if you could start all over

no regrets

Old 03-20-2008, 06:36 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

There are a bunch of questions there.
what would I do different? I would have bought one that didnt need ANY work.

Yours will be worth more if its the original parts, what aftermarket body are you talking about? the one from dynacorn?

The trim tag, vin plate and title from the other car will make good shelf fodder. Maybe in a nice display case. I know the legal answer(s) to that question.....However there is a diofference between legal and ethical. Putting those items on a car and claiming it to be something else is just bad joo-joo. Illigal if you plan on selling it and the add says its something other than what it is.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

What would I have done different?

I would have built a road race car. When I was roughly 75% complete. Meaning I had the engine and trans picked out and installed I picked up a racing itch and started autoX with the BMW. Then I hooked up with a friend at www.redheadracing.net and started helping him build his Honda's for road racing. Shawn isn't the typical tuner, he appreciates cars across the spectrum and his decision to build Honda's is the same as my love of Chevy. They are low cost, easy to work on, and can be built to fit a need. In this case, road racing.

I had the BB and TH400 in so with that money stuck into the car, along with all the new interior parts I decided to finish the Camaro as I intended and save my thoughts of a road race Camaro.

I would go with a V-8 and a 4 speed, build the car so it could classify for Vintage Historic in SCCA and MSCC. Then go play at Road America and Blackhawk Farms with my road race friends.

Maybe down the road I will find another roller and be able to do this.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:08 PM

thanks for your input I'm not trying to build a car and sell it I've always wanted a 69 now that I've got one i was just looking for advice on a few options on what you would do now that i have it iam little nervous on where to start i want to do it right thank again

Old 03-20-2008, 07:33 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

I would have bought one in better condition than the one I bought. Try to find one that had more to the interior than just seats....lol

Old 03-20-2008, 08:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I would have bought that '69 SS396 if I had seen it only a week earlier when I bought a '76! Only about a grand difference, but I've got an idea I wouldn't be around right now if I ended up with the '69. I was a young, stupid teenager at the time.

As far as your car goes, really depends on what you want out of it. If your looking for a nice cruiser but not too worried about originality go with the aftermarket body parts. Otherwise, try to repair (not bondo)or get NOS body parts. Most of all, have fun with it!

Old 03-24-2008, 09:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Got any pics of your car?

I would say that if the rear deck filler (panel between the rear glass and the deck lid) is rotten, then it is a safe bet that the package tray (rear speaker deck) is rotten as well. It extends all the way from the back seat mounts to the front of the trunk opening under the filler panel...

Old 03-25-2008, 01:46 AM

I wouldn't have bought a "done" car.99% of peoplewho sell a car thats completely "done" is full of it. The only "done" part on my car was the body was straight. I put maybe 500 miles before the 350 started smoking. After I pulled it, the advertised 350 was a 400. Then I noticed major issues with the sub frame. I've had to gut the interior, pull the motor, trans,sub frame (and all front end related items), and start over on everything.I'll be happy when it's finished, but next car I doI'm buying a stripped project so I know what I'mno redoing everyone.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:45 AM
3rd Gear Member

what would I have done different?

absolutely nothing! as much as I screwed up, it was a valuable learning experience for me and also valuable for others because I know what they shouldn't do and I can help them with that.

anytime I wish I did something different in the past, I just change it now and I don't have to wish anymore