Want to start a 69 Z28 project...Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Default Want to start a 69 Z28 project...Where to start?

I want to get a project car to totally restore over the next couple of years. I want to restore a 69 Z28 with a big block from the gound up. I have been doing research and have order some info. and manuals. I did mechanicle work as a AAV crewchief in the Marines, and have worked on my BMW and Dodge Ram, but that's about it in terms of experience. I need to know where to start. Where do I get a car, what condition, price? What size engine is good, how much overall will it cost. I want to do it right, and I want it to be basically show room quality. Any tips on how to start from stcratch would be very helpful, thanks...

Old 03-26-2008, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Want to start a 69 Z28 project...Where to start?

Well I guess that some has to tell you, so it might as well be me...They NEVER made a Z/28 big block. All '67, '68 and '69 Z/28's were 302 cubic inch small blocks. I hope this information doesn't discourage you though. You will need to do plenty of research and figure out what it is you want to end up with. Here are some links that will help you, good luck:

http://www.chevy-camaro.com/

http://www.camaros.org/index.shtml

http://muscle-car-resto.com/chevy/

http://www.nastyz28.com/

Old 03-26-2008, 08:27 PM

you can go to classicindustries.com they will send you a camaro catalog and there is everything you could ever need in that book.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:38 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Well just start looking. There are alot of places to look you just gotta look. Mine fell into my lap but I have seen all kinds around. Go to swap meets in your area. Look in the paper or ebay or even local dealers. As far as condition goes will vary from car to car depending on how much of the body needs to be restored and or how much you want to restore.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:12 AM
1st Gear Member

First of Devil Dog, thanks for your service. West coast or East coast? You may have shared the hot sun with my brother, a thread head in 1st Tanks.

If your just getting the itch the first thing I would do is what others mentioned. Research, research research. Your going to find out building or restoring a car is like building a house, wrenching on those AAV's on the ramps, and other things in life. The 7 P's rule.

Find a good foundation first. A roller or runner that is in good shape. If your going for a specific model Camaro that could make it harder. As it was mentioned, your not going to find a BB Z/28 but who says you can't make a clone Z/28 and stuff a BB in. Engine wise any V-8 will work, the 307's where the least favorite. Don't get bullied that they where junk, they weren't, they just weren't as powerful as the other V-8's. Heck, my 60's 307 has 20K at 4,000rpms and still is alive. I've beat it to death and can't kill it. Would I want one again, most likely not, give me more cubes and go fast.

As for the BB's 427, 454, 396 I'd say are the three you stick too. SB's, 350, 327 never fail a guy.

If your going the clone route or just a driver with no worries about originality your price tag will be considerably less then trying to do a frame off resto of a exact model you want.

Budget. Get together what you'll spend for a roller or driver. Then after you buy it look it over and had up everything you will budget for the resto. Then take that number and throw it away because you'll spend three times as much as you think it will take to restore. BTDT so many times that the X3 approach now seems to work.

Join a local car club or Camaro club so you can get in the "scene" and then start haggling guys for parts, info, assistance on sourcing stuff and other things.

Since your looking to showroom quality the skys the limit on price. If your looking for rare or hard to find models of a 69 your going to pay top dollar amounts. Finding a basic 350 V8 auto car with nothing fancy will be much cheaper then a real 302 Z/28.

Decide how much your going to do yourself, and how much you will farm out. This is a big part of the budget so don't be surprised when the budget gets even bigger when you go for paint, body, engine, trans, rearend work or whatever your not comfortable doing.

Have a space, at least 20x30 set aside to do the restoration in and expect it to be for the Camaro only for the next few years, maybe more depending on how motivated you are. That first year you'll feel like a million bucks and have the car torn down and start cataloging parts and dreaming. Then it dulls a little because things don't move fast. Spending a week getting a part cleaned and painted is boring as hell. You look at the pile of parts and it just kicks you. Keep with it, towards the end when things are flying together your going to be happier then a teenager on prom night.

Tools tools and more tools. Hope you like Sears or Home Depot or whatever your flavor is because you'll need a lot of them. Then equipment, figure this all into your budget. Air Compressor and wrenches are needed, certain tools for taking things apart, or setting them to the side. Much of it you can rent but that can be a pain also.

IF your married or have a GF, mention to her that for the next few years your going to be a different guy, mumbling about part numbers, driving across the state for a $10 part, learning new swear words as you bust a knuckle on a bolt that won't come loose. Ahhhhh, so much fun.

If anything, start hitting the local papers, ebay (inspect before buying) craigslist locally, car clubs, online autotrader. Anything selling cars to find your dream. One thing to do, no matter what, is to have a pro or someone knowledgable look that car over top to bottom and confirm what it is before you write a check. If that means spending $100 bucks or more to have a guy near the car give you a detailed descrition then do

Old 03-27-2008, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Iagree with Him! ^^^^^^

btw... I'm active Duty Coast Guard... Remember Douglas Munro!!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FlightMechYJ68

Iagree with Him! ^^^^^^

btw... I'm active Duty Coast Guard... Remember Douglas Munro!!!!
Rock on, the Coast Guard doesn't get enough recognition as a branch of our Military, they do more in a day then most people could even imagine. Salute to you sir and hoist a beer in your honor. Thanks for your service.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Salute to you sir and hoist a beer in your honor.

AMEN!!!! I like that!!!

Thanks for your service.

Thanks. I appreciate that. It is an honor to serve. It may sound cheesy but I believe it...

Old 03-28-2008, 07:25 PM

I was proud to serve... I have 2 friends in the Coast Guard, and my brother is a SWCC boat operator in the Navy...I am out now though. I am a Deputy Sheriff in So Cal now...

Thanks for all of your info, it's very helpful. I am not really looking for original items. I just like the look of the 69 and want to get it looking real pretty and have a decent amount of power behind it. I am willing to take my time, and do as much myself as I can. My wife actually brought the idea of restoring a classic car to my attention. So hopefully she gets it...Thanks again Gents...

Old 03-28-2008, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, if she cares/has any idea of what it will cost, she may not be behind you for so long.... I would do like just about everyone else here.... Just don't tell her what you are spending on it... haha

Quick Reply: Want to start a 69 Z28 project...Where to start?