Fuel Pump? Vapor Lock?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 08:30 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by kamaro68
I went with a SUM-G3136-2 - Street & Strip Electric Fuel Pump rated at 105 gph and max pressure of 14 psi.

I'm going with your gravity fed answer...
Are you going to install a sump on your existing tank or are you getting a fuel cell? Or am I on a different page? lol.

I'm not sure how much motor you're running, but I would think that an HV mechanical fuel pump would work just as well and you could use your existing pressure regulator since the 4150 only likes about 5- 7lbs. of pressure. Would save you from having to weld a sump into your new gas tank.

You know what, I think we should start a thread on the pro's and con's of mechanical vs. electric fuel pumps.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by StoveBolts
Are you going to install a sump on your existing tank or are you getting a fuel cell? Or am I on a different page? lol.

I'm not sure how much motor you're running, but I would think that an HV mechanical fuel pump would work just as well and you could use your existing pressure regulator since the 4150 only likes about 5- 7lbs. of pressure. Would save you from having to weld a sump into your new gas tank.

You know what, I think we should start a thread on the pro's and con's of mechanical vs. electric fuel pumps.
I never considered a sump in my tank. I figured I would treat it the same as normal and try not to run my gas below half a tank.

The plan is in another next year to go with the FAST EFI kit. When I do that I will need to replace the gas tank entirely.

My motor is a 383 full roller. Supposedly the guy to blueprinted my carb for my motor said that he recommends fuel pressure closer to 10-11 lbs due to everything being brand new?

I chose to go electric because I read somewhere that at lower RPM's the mechanical pump isn't working as hard as at higher RPM's. With an electric pump power remains constant. I also like the fact that when I put my ignition to the "on" position, I can prime my line prior to firing up my motor. No need for me to pump my gas pedal anymore :-)

Old 06-26-2011, 03:00 AM
2nd Gear member

I would watch fuel pressure on carb.
Too much pressure and the floats won't hold it back, fuel will blow past needle and seat.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:07 AM
2nd Gear member

Hey Kamaro,

Thanks for explaining! That 383 is a nice piece for sure! I've got a good friend who has a stroker in his 2nd gen and it's wicked fast. I've only got a 350, but I've got a bit more cam than my friend, not to mention better heads and better suspension. I can't wait to go toe to toe with him in the coming weeks as I think we're planning a day at our local race track sometime soon. Should prove to be a blast!

Anyway, that 10-11 lbs of pressure to your 4150 seems a bit excessive. I'm not saying your mechanic is out of his mind, but you might want to call the guys at Holley. I've called them on a few things while setting up my 4150 and they are pretty knowledgeable. After all, it's their carburator and they're the experts. Their number is 270 781-9741.

The second thing is the Benjamin you just dropped on your new electric fuel pump. Would hate to see you burn it up running it dry when you dip below half a tank one too many times.

I really hate to say it, as embarrassing as it is, but I made the same initial mistake you did and burnt up my fuel pump. Later, I even ruined my gas tank trying to weld a sump in myself after insisting on running that electric fuel pump. I'm a good welder, but not good enough to make a water tight seal with my cheap mig. Honestly, it was cheaper for me to put a fuel cell in the car (bottom sump) than it was to put a factory gas tank back in so I went that route. I'm now running a high volume mechanical fuel pump ( 10 psi regulated at 6 psi) and yesterday, after rebuilding my 4150 and getting it somewhat tuned in, it started right up with just a couple of pumps of the pedal. After the engine reaches 120, it starts with a bump from the starter.

I honestly don't know what's better when it comes to mechanical vs. electric, but I know I had some issues that cost me just over 2 Bennies and a lot of head ache when I tried running my electric fuel pump with a stock gas tank which is why I went back to a mechanical.

I wish ya all the luck in the world, keep us posted and share what you've learned.

Last edited by StoveBolts; 06-27-2011 at 08:16 AM.