67 restoration please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 10:17 PM
Default 67 restoration please help!!

Hello All,

To get straight to the point, My father has a 1967 camaro that he finally decided to give the car to me! I dont have the vechicle yet (have to get it to Georgia from Pennsylvaina) but i will be getting it this summer sometime. I want to get the car running by myself with as little to no professional mechanical help although the only issue is i know very little about engines. I know more than the average joe and i do understand carbureted engines.. I guess i honestly just dont know where to start to get it running. As far as bodywork i am comfortable with i am a newly autobody technician. When i get the car i plan on new tires new brakes/rotors, i plan on new fuel lines, and emptying and cleaning the tank and seafoam eith fresh fuel, and i plan on rebuilding the carbs. What else would anyone suggest to do to get the engine to turn over and the sitting beast on the road again? Background of the car it has been in a storage unit for about 30 years, my dad had someone work on it about 20 years ago and he just got it tuened over and then he ran out of funda and back in storage. Car is a 67 camaro base model and i believe had the straight 6 in it my dad replaced it with a 350 small block v8 i believe it was from a malibu i forget what year he said. Three quarter cam and 4 Barrel Rochester carb. 4 speed manual and the original 6 cylinder rear end. Any advice or insight anyone provides will be greatly appreciated!!

Old 02-11-2019, 06:18 AM
2nd Gear member

change
oil &filter
all hoses
antifreeze
plugs, wires cap & rotor
remove plugs and spray a little penetrating oil in the cylinders and see if you can turn over by "HAND"

Old 02-11-2019, 11:06 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

In addition to above,
Unless this is a very high end 67 it will not have Rotors, it will have drums brakes all around. New brakes, wheel cylinders and a Master cylinder and as you said the brake lines. If the steel lines look good they probably are but the rubber flex line should be replaced the one in the back gets ignored cause its not easy to see.. Might be a good time to upgrade to a newer brake system. There is also a rag joint in the steering shaft near the exhaust, they are made a leather composite and if a rodent got to it could be bad.

Fuel pump but that is not a safety item but it will leave you the side of the road.

When I woke mine up, I did you stable in the fuel the tanks and lines where not bad. Even the card was not that dirty just some parts that where sticky.
https://camaroforums.com/forum/67-69...p-82726/page6/

Last edited by Gorn; 02-11-2019 at 11:14 AM.