2010+ General
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did he cut off the mufflers!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 11:10 PM
Default Why did he cut off the mufflers!

Hey guys, I pickup up this 2013 ls camaro a couple of days ago from some 16 year old kid and he had the mufflers chopped off! I'm wondering if it is safe to drive it this way and also what I should do to fix it? I have the original mufflers so should I have those welded back on (or could I just clamp them on myself)? Or maybe have straight pipes added? I'm also considering having aftermarket mufflers put on or possibly a whole exhaust system (but that one may be out of my budget).

Let me know what you all think, thanks!

Old 12-23-2020, 12:49 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I deleted the mufflers on my 2012 SS, using muffler delete pipes. I am very happy with the overall sound, the car looks better from the back, and I'm carrying 50 less pounds of mufflers that are as big as suitcases.
If you're saying the exhaust now ends where the old mufflers started, then yes you want to install muffler delete pipes, so that you're not getting exhaust fumes under the car. Or, if you don't like the way yours sounds, take a step backwards and weld the old mufflers back on.

Old 12-23-2020, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I deleted the mufflers on my 2012 SS, using muffler delete pipes. I am very happy with the overall sound, the car looks better from the back, and I'm carrying 50 less pounds of mufflers that are as big as suitcases.
If you're saying the exhaust now ends where the old mufflers started, then yes you want to install muffler delete pipes, so that you're not getting exhaust fumes under the car. Or, if you don't like the way yours sounds, take a step backwards and weld the old mufflers back on.
Hey thanks for the reply! Ya they are just cut off right now. I can't stand the sound (it sounds like a 92 Honda civic to me) but my wife seems to like it and it's her car. I'll definitely look into at least getting the delete pipes installed.

I asked this question because one of my coworkers (who tends to "know" everything) said cutting off the mufflers would cause back pressure and burn exhaust valves so it great to hear that yours is doing fine!

Old 12-23-2020, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Getting pipes installed to exit out the back is going to change the sound for the better, you'll get rid of some resonance and the echo that I'm sure you have now.
Your co-worker knows everything....minus one, lol. "cutting off the mufflers would cause back pressure and burn exhaust valves", that's a huge contradictory statement right there.
This guy explains pretty well what goes on with the exhaust.

Old 12-24-2020, 02:41 PM

Interesting, thanks for the video, that clears that up very well! And it sounds like just doing straight pipes will be a nice middle ground that should make both the wife and I happy with the sound!

Old 01-16-2021, 04:12 PM

We'll after toying with the idea of straight piping it or not I ended up ordering some mrt 2.0 mufflers. The install went smoothly and took me about it 45 mins to clamp them on.

We're overall happy with the sound but it is a little quieter then I'd like. What are your thoughts on deleting the resonators for a little more volume? And do you guys think I should get the mufflers tack welded or are the clamps good enough?

Old 01-16-2021, 05:33 PM
4th Gear Member

I'd want them welded on,clamps tend to work loose after a while.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Y2Keglide
I'd want them welded on,clamps tend to work loose after a while.
I appreciate the suggestion. Is there any difference between a quick tack weld vs getting them fully welded on?

Old 01-16-2021, 09:26 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xxkenny90xx
I appreciate the suggestion. Is there any difference between a quick tack weld vs getting them fully welded on?
Less chance of coming apart or leaking. lol) I prefer fully welded much stronger.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:58 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by xxkenny90xx
We'll after toying with the idea of straight piping it or not I ended up ordering some mrt 2.0 mufflers. The install went smoothly and took me about it 45 mins to clamp them on.

We're overall happy with the sound but it is a little quieter then I'd like. What are your thoughts on deleting the resonators for a little more volume? And do you guys think I should get the mufflers tack welded or are the clamps good enough?
Should have just straight piped like I suggested. Now you want to delete the resonators, which is going to leave you with straight pipes, with a lot more screwing around, at twice the price of what the muffler delete straight pipes would have cost.
You might be better off selling what you have and starting from scratch.