Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

STS Turbocharger System

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 05:53 AM
Default RE: STS Turbocharger System

Hey guys, just stumbled across this forum topic and thought I'd add a few points.

First, I've been for a drive in a STS equipped car - so I am quallified to add my views.

The turbos are far from being just for sound - the systems REALLY perform well. The lag is minimal, less than lots of factory turbo's I've driven.

Boost is progressive and controlable under gradual throttle, and fantastic under wide open throttle, with a real kick in the pants. Don't be fooled just because it sits under the rear of the car, full boost is right there at 3000rpm!

How can anybody argue with dyno results?
50 to 60% increase in HP......... 60 plus % increase in torque...... you do the math and figure it out. And all the increases are with a standard turbo kit, standard headers or manifolds, and the cats still fitted, and running on low boost - but can be increased to around 16lbs (with injectors/fuel pump upgrade and tune)!

They have a seperate oil scavenging pump, dont need water cooling due to lower heat, and are amazingly reliable for that same reason.

The pipework is almost the same volume as a large intercooler, and acts as an intercooler itself, with heat being disipatred through the tube wall.

Bang for buck, you shouldn't go past it, and don't knock it till you've tried it!

Old 12-13-2006, 06:02 AM

ORIGINAL: z28pete

They are trying to run a turbo on compressed air at the end of the exhaust pipe, but that is not really how a turbo works. It needs to be installed as close as possible to the exhaust valves, where there is maximum heat, gas velocity, and pressure. That is why you don't see factories using turbos at the end of tailpipes.
1/ exhaust gasses are not, nor were they ever 'compressed'.

2/ heat does not spin a turbo impeller, exhaust gas velocity does.

3/ Velocity is created as the gasses enter the turbo. There is still the same ammount of gas at the rear of the exhaust syatem as there is at the front (just like a vacuum cleaner on 'blow') - only differnce is the gasses cool down as they go - they speed up again as they enter the turbo (like a venturi) and spin the impellor.

Factories dont run turbos on the rear of cars because it's not the 'norm'. Thats not to say it doesnt work...... just that it's not YET accepted as the 'thing to do'. Remember when all cars were rear wheel drive? Who would have thought!

Cheers

Old 12-13-2006, 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: hookedonboost

ORIGINAL: z28pete

They are trying to run a turbo on compressed air at the end of the exhaust pipe, but that is not really how a turbo works. It needs to be installed as close as possible to the exhaust valves, where there is maximum heat, gas velocity, and pressure. That is why you don't see factories using turbos at the end of tailpipes.
1/ exhaust gasses are not, nor were they ever 'compressed'.

2/ heat does not spin a turbo impeller, exhaust gas velocity does.

3/ Velocity is created as the gasses enter the turbo. There is still the same ammount of gas at the rear of the exhaust syatem as there is at the front (just like a vacuum cleaner on 'blow') - only differnce is the gasses cool down as they go - they speed up again as they enter the turbo (like a venturi) and spin the impellor.

Factories dont run turbos on the rear of cars because it's not the 'norm'. Thats not to say it doesnt work...... just that it's not YET accepted as the 'thing to do'. Remember when all cars were rear wheel drive? Who would have thought!

Cheers
You've just re-iterated they techno-babble that STS uses on their site to tip-toe around the shortcomings of the rear-mounted design.

Basic turbocharging physics alone will let you know that while this turbo setup *will* work, it is by no means the "Correct" or best performing way of going about it. I've yet to see many positive results from these systems other then "*** dyno" opinions from people with limited turbocharger knowledge. A "50%" increase in power (about 100 wheel horsepower in these cars) really isn't something to brag about with a turbocharger setup (I've seen higher dyno figures from turbocharged 4 cylinders by just tweaking the original setup). Wth other setups I've seen almost 600 whp at 9psi--do the math on that one.