Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://camaroforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-24/)
-   -   STS Turbocharger System (https://camaroforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-24/sts-turbocharger-system-381/)

Skynet1018 02-17-2005 02:51 PM

STS Turbocharger System

Hello

I was just wondering if anyone has the STS Turbocharger system which is installed instead of the muffler at the back of the car instead of under the hood in order to keep temperatures down.

Is it a good system? Is it worth the $4,000? How hard is it to install?

Thanks

Obsol3te 11-17-2005 01:28 AM

RE: STS Turbocharger System

Just going by what I hear, and have seen in a couple vids online.
They don't seem to perform.
Possibly boost dropoff from all the piping? Don't know, try doing a search on google.

JD1969 11-17-2005 11:43 PM

I have not really seen any cars with that system perform all that great. I guess it works OK, but does have some short comings.

Alex 05-31-2006 01:27 PM

I'm sure it works however a turbo system also uses the heat energy to spin the turbo so I can't imagine how much heat there is left at the end of the exhaust. The turbo I had on my Mustang was bolted directly on the header and that kit (HP performance) was awesome. The heat under the hood was nasty though!

jacksonjw81 06-02-2006 04:37 AM

If you think this is how turbos work, then you need to do a little research.

Alex 06-02-2006 09:48 AM

ORIGINAL: jacksonjw81

Educate me.

robmick33 06-12-2006 03:01 AM

not tryin to stir poo into the air but just to educate anyone that would like to understand how turbos work heres a terrific site www.howstuffworks.com .along with other automotive things discussed here it is somewhat helpful

z28pete 06-20-2006 05:01 PM

They are trying to run a turbo on compressed air at the end of the exhaust pipe, but that is not really how a turbo works. It needs to be installed as close as possible to the exhaust valves, where there is maximum heat, gas velocity, and pressure. That is why you don't see factories using turbos at the end of tailpipes.

YouLost 06-29-2006 02:25 PM

STS kit to me is more for sound then performance. :p

DSSA 12-10-2006 01:37 PM

ORIGINAL: jacksonjw81

Hmm, I've been doing this all wrong for the last 10 years of working on turbocharged cars I guess.....

I agree with most of the responses in here though. I've never understood why people think a turbo mounted that far downstream (after a huge loss in heat and velocity) is a good idea. Uneven, Log-type manifolds that mount the turbo right off of the heads aren't near perfection or great for performance either, but the STS kit is at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Give me a nice, thick-wall, SS, even-length, set of tubular headers and I'm happy.