New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Looking to buy a camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 11:40 PM
Default Looking to buy a camaro

Hi, so, i am 19 years old. I have been looking for a used camaro v6. Most of thrm qre high priced for me and others either have accidents or issues... now there is a private seller selling a 2013 chevy camaro 2ls for $11,000 it has 86k miles on it now here is my concern.. i want a car that will last me for years.. will this car be reliable at 86k miles? Should i be concerned with desling with a private seller. Yes i will go to a mechanic to check everything in the car but i still want to make sure. So for those who have a camaro woth 80k or higher mileage. How reliable is the car and what were issues you faced.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:42 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Go park outside a dealership and see how many cars come in on the back of a flat bed. Keep in mine most of those are cars still under warranty. So there are cars out there with small hidden defects, those defects will cause an issues from 50 miles to 100,000 miles. Now add in a variable of how the car is driven and how the car was maintained.

The next thing to think about how was the car used? Was it garage kept. Highway miles are hard on tires and wheel bearings, city driving is hard on everything. 50 starts/stops on the way to work with a car this heavy is hard on the car but 50 jack rabbit starts/stops could cut the driveline life in half mileage wise.

Here is what you can do.

Check the car fax. You are looking for cars with fewest owners (never a rental car) and check to see where they lived. You are looking for Suburban or country living. (I have seen cars from NYC that needed a full mechanical restoration at 60,000 miles)

You want no wrecks ( small fender benders are not a big deal but you should inform you mechanic to check the area to verify proper repair was done.

A full maintenance record is nice. That way you can continue it. You can't undo a none maintained car by doing more maintenance without starting over. (new engine/transmission)

The big thing is to take to a mechanic that you pay. Dealerships can make any car appear in perfect condition to a untrained eye. It a lot harder faking out a pro.

If long range budget is you concern you can add a aftermarket warranty. But keep in mind dealing with some of those companies is a pain and they are assuming they will make a profit on you.

Most modern cars are designed to go 200K. Anything made by man can break and it can be fixed.

Edit: I just wanted to emphasize there are a lot of the X-rental cars out there. The V6 Camaro was a favorite amount rental car companies. Its been my experience that if you are looking at the cheapest V6s that bottom rung will always be the Xrentals.

Last edited by Gorn; 04-26-2018 at 09:07 AM.