68 Camaro - To buy or not to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Default 68 Camaro - To buy or not to buy?

Hi all! I am seeking a little advice on a 68 Camaro I am looking at buying. First let me start by saying this 68 is in immaculate condition. It is just a base V8 (350 295HP) car with factory air, power steering, th350 auto trans, etc. As far as 68 Camaros go this thing is an unmolested car that is completely stock and intact and has never been restored (except for a new coat of paint and new vinyl for the seats). There is no rust anywhere and this Camaro looks like it was hardly ever driven.

Now here is the interesting part of this car… It is equipped with a new 350 engine and th350 trans that were installed in the car back in 72/73. The odd thing is there is no record of the car prior to 1973. When the guy that currently owns the car called GM to inquire on the cars records he spoke to 3 people there and what was odd is they could find no record for that vin. Supposedly they have records of all the vins dating back to 1967 but this one didn’t show (vin#124378L309033). The guy then mentioned he had spoken to a Camaro guru from Tennessee and was told it may be some sort of test car (possibly one of 25 used for testing the TH350 transmission). The person at GM told him that would explain the vin not showing up since all the test car vins would have been kept with the test files, all of which were destroyed in 1973.

According to the guy in Tennessee GM took their test cars and put new engines and transmissions in them and then sold them to the public as used vehicles in 1973. This would explain why there is no record to this car prior to 1973 but unfortunately it looks like there is no way to find out any more info on this car or prove it was a test car.

Even without knowing for sure what the cars actual history is I must say it is a very nice condition Camaro. The guy who currently owns this car has said he would sell it to me for $20,000. Is that a good price for this 68 Camaro? Could the car be some sort of test car? Is it a good price for a base Camaro assuming there is nothing particularly special about it (other than being in awesome condition)? Thanks in advance for any advice!

-DC

Old 08-16-2009, 11:23 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would say from the pictures buy the car. offer a little less and see where that goes but this car looks to be in premo shape and worth it. to recondition one to this shape will cost well over 20k. i see a little paint on the frame trying to peel, have u checked for any hidden rust like in the trunk up at the base of the back window or the side cubby holes.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I think I am definitly going to get it! I did check all the usual spots and there isnt one drop of rust anywhere. The trunk still has the original coating on it and is perfect. This thing was like a almost new 68 Camaro. I was very suprised an original 68 would be in that condition. I guess it lead a good guaraged life in Southern California.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:34 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Buy it or give me his phone number.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I call BS on the story. GM never sold a test car. Also since GM is a car manufacture any car they sell must meet crash and emision standards for that year. This keeps the manufactures from playing games and selling "used cars" that do not meet todays standards.

The 350 is a SS motor not the base engine. I do not think you could get a 350 any other way but it being an SS. Most likely this is not a vin from GM but as long as it matchs the title that the state has it does not matter. It could been a state issued vin like when you bring a car from over seas . What is the issue date on the title? A title issue date of 6 years after the car was made should have some explanation.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I would have bought it with my eyes closed. I looked around for a while and could not find a nice car for under 30K. I paid $4K for my project and as it has been said above by the time I finish it $20K will still look like a bargain. I wouldn't let it go if I were U. Good luck

Old 08-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I did not mean it was a bad deal, I just dont believe GM sold a test cars. It may have been donated to a school or something but GM is real clear to the schools these can can never be put on the road. Back in the 70s some States started titling cars and some cars that should not have been got "re-titled". Once it was titled it may have been transfered to another state.
(vin#124378L309033).
vin decodes.
1= Chevy
2= Camaro
4= V8
37= Coup
8= 1986
L= Los Angeles
309033= (1968 Model started with 300001)
So it is a GM vin number.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:02 PM

Actually GM did sell some test cars to the public. Check this out (its from camaros.org)...

A GM bulletin describes a test fleet of late 1968 model year vehicles of various types that were used to evaluate development builds of the THM350 3-speed transmission that was introduced for the 1969 model year. These vehicles were then sold to the public following their evaluation. There were late 1968 model Camaros included in this fleet, specifically L30 327ci/275HP powered Camaros specially fitted with the THM350. CRG would appreciate any data on any of these test fleet cars, Camaro or otherwise.

Now, is this one of those... I doubt it. But it is the cleanest, all original Camaro I have seen. This thing looks like it was never driven. It may only be a base V8 but it is in extremely nice shape. What I like is that it needs no restoration and has a fresh motor that would be very reciptable to a future head/cam/intake upgrade. Im sure I will have a lot of fun with it!

Last edited by Vimstar; 08-17-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I wonder why GM felt it was necessary to create special "test" Camaros to evaluate a T350 trans for the 1969 model year, when the T350 was already being used in production model 1968 Vettes?

Old 08-18-2009, 12:50 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i wonder what kind of numbers are on the motor. buy it tomorrow and let us know. or let us know were it is.