New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Going back to school.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 05:15 PM
Default Going back to school.

Well I finally did it. I have the 78 Camaro I've been after for a long time. And this particular 1 for about 4 years. A little background. I had a 78 Camaro LT with a 305 automatic. This was my first car in high school. I had it for 2 years until it got too expensive for me to repair. So I sold it, that was an extremely sad day. Then found out car was cannablised and junked. So it has always been my mission to have another one. Fast forward 23 years later married 2 Kiddos. We take a family vacation to my wife's uncles house in Colorado. He was showing my brother in law and I something in the garage. Off in a corner by the roll up door I see a silhouette. A gen 2 Camaro. I sed hey you have a Camaro. I look closer and see the polly bumpers and the red white and blue Camaro crest on the grill. I looked at him. This is a 78. He looked at me and was a little shocked. How did you know? I popped the hood and told him I had one in high school, I wanted one again. So fast forward to August of 2021 I get a tip from my Father in law. The Camaro may be for sale you might want to call. So I did just to express interest in the car. I did tell him initially if he where ever to sell it, give me a number. So he sed he would think about it. And in the middle of September I can stop dreaming he gave me the magic number. So the first week in November I will drive to Colorado and be the proud 2nd owner of a 1978 carmine red Camaro sport coupe with a 350 4 speed manual.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:08 PM
4th Gear Member

Nice congrats!

Old 09-20-2021, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Y2Keglide
Nice congrats!
thank you. I'm very excited for this car. I can't wait to post pictures and do small tasteful modeling. Like adding duck tail spoiler, adding Dakota analog dash. Being this is a sport there's no rally cluster. And a Hollie snipper fuel injection.

Old 09-20-2021, 01:14 PM
1st Gear Member

That's awesome.... Looks in good condition, especially that original paint job...? Yes Have fun with the modifications and give us updates. Would be great to see what you've done.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo86
That's awesome.... Looks in good condition, especially that original paint job...? Yes Have fun with the modifications and give us updates. Would be great to see what you've done.
well it has had a repaint sometime in the late 80's and the original vynal interior was changed for factory cloth. I don't think it was ever a snow bird and has been garbage kept since repaint and interior done.. I also didn't think it has carictoristic passenger side dash curl. Nor the back trim panels coming apart. This car was differently his baby. Not to say he won't rip it around the mountain roads. He admits he will.. as a matter of fact he did it two weeks before he called me to offer me the car. So I will probably be way softer on it then him. But it is nice to know that after 43 years of ownership he isn't scared to have a little fun!