LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Nitrous On A Stock Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Question Nitrous On A Stock Motor?

I have a stock 1994 Z28 and was wondering if I installed a nitrous kit, would the motor be able to handle it? I just want something to mess around with on the streets, not looking to turn the car into a track car. Looking to see how big of a kit I could go with and such. Any info or help would be great, thanks in advance.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:07 PM
4th Gear Member

the correct answer is..................who knows????

we know absolutely nothing about your engine. If it's high miles and never been rebuilt then maybe a 50 shot would be OK. Are you getting it tuned for the nitrous? Will you be updating your tune before spraying and then restore the tune after done playing.

The nice thing about nitrous is that it has a way of pointing out to you the weak spots of your engine. Maybe your injectors aren't so great or your FPR or fuel pump is borderline. Engines running too lean make nice kaboom sounds

Old 04-28-2012, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
the correct answer is..................who knows????

we know absolutely nothing about your engine. If it's high miles and never been rebuilt then maybe a 50 shot would be OK. Are you getting it tuned for the nitrous? Will you be updating your tune before spraying and then restore the tune after done playing.

The nice thing about nitrous is that it has a way of pointing out to you the weak spots of your engine. Maybe your injectors aren't so great or your FPR or fuel pump is borderline. Engines running too lean make nice kaboom sounds
Sorry for the lack of info. The motor has around 160k miles on it, it has a new fuel pump I just installed. I really don't know to much on the history of the motor as I just purchased the car not long ago. I was told that it was tuned, but not real sure about that. Is there any way to check if it is tuned and to what specs? Again sorry for the lack of info and thanks for the help.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

i dont recommend no2 with 160k and not knowing anything about the car your running a high risk of blowing the motor...now on the other hand if you plan on rebuilding a nice 200 shot will be fun for a few seconds

Old 04-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

We don't know for sure if you headgasket will blow next week without NO2 how could we guess if it could handle NO2, heck it could already be blown but just in such a small way you don't know it yet.

If I had a Stock motor with 160K on it and I was not sure of its history and I needed it to run everyday I would think twice about flooring it no less adding more power to it. The candle the burns twice as bright burns half as long. Your candle is pretty short right now I would think twice about making it brighter.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
i dont recommend no2 with 160k and not knowing anything about the car your running a high risk of blowing the motor...now on the other hand if you plan on rebuilding a nice 200 shot will be fun for a few seconds
Thanks, I plan on running this one until it gives out. The car runs pretty strong now, just thought a little n02 wouldn't hurt.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
We don't know for sure if you headgasket will blow next week without NO2 how could we guess if it could handle NO2, heck it could already be blown but just in such a small way you don't know it yet.

If I had a Stock motor with 160K on it and I was not sure of its history and I needed it to run everyday I would think twice about flooring it no less adding more power to it. The candle the burns twice as bright burns half as long. Your candle is pretty short right now I would think twice about making it brighter.
It's not a daily driver, I use it here and there. Play around with it more than any thing, but I understand what y'all are saying. Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:22 PM
4th Gear Member

I just wanna say, N20 + streets = bad things. Personally, I find something like that to be only acceptable on a track. Maybe that's why they made it illegal to use on the streets. Just thought you should know.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:19 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Your candle is pretty short right now I would think twice about making it brighter.

oh please can we have fun with this post