Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

nitrous on mostly stock???

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Default nitrous on mostly stock???

ok so i was gonna buy this 400sb
but tuesday me and the woman went for a drive, ended up going to sandusky, drove basically all night.
went about 150 miles give or take driving randomly on $20 of gas at 3.50 a gallon. so about six gallons. 20+ mpgwith the tops out.
sweet right
so my friend starts talking to me about nitrous tonight. says itll be fine on the stock 305.
so im like hmm... mpgs and a boost when i want it...
im trying to learn as much as i can all at once so bear with me.

1991 RS 305tbi 5.0l 5 speed (t5)
40series flowmaster custom exhaust the rest is stock

now the questions for you nitrous wizards. i know nothing of your trickery.

seems like this is the most ponies for the $ right?
will i have to upgrade the internals?
can i use it with this setup? > http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
im gutting the ecu and all emissions and running my own gauges shouldnt be a problem right?
im keeping the O2 sensor to run to a airfuel gauge will nitrous screw with the sensor?
where can i hide the bottle in the 3rdgen? ("trunk" is full of speaker)
is 150a good size for this app?
am i going to blow myself/my engineup?
should i just get the 400sb and another car to cruise?

thanks in advance.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Default RE: nitrous on mostly stock???

Hi,
I have a fairly juiced up 360 in my 69, but I have cast pistons and stock crank and wouldn't hit it with more than 125 of spray. Be careful.
RJ

Old 04-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Ninja Administrator

rule of thumb for safe shot size is about half of the stock hp output before you want to consider upgrading internals. that goes for most applications, not sure if i would follow that for a factory boosted car or anything.

150 sounds a little much for a 305, however you would never blow up. nitrous is non-flamable. you really only need to think of it as a safe way to store liquid oxygen (since oxygen is highly combustible, we dont use bottles of liquid o2 in our cars..... cuz THAT would go boom in a big way) if you did overspray you would end up just burning a cylinder, in the worst case you would melt through a piston and start shooting oil out your tailpipes. this is bad, but does not result in death.... unless soem jackass sets the oil on fire. that could result in death [&:]

anyways, you could do a 75 dry shot pretty easily, which would be a good safe kick in the pants for you whenever you want it. you will want to get a pro tune for this. if you arent willing to tune, then go with a wet kit. harder to install but you can tune it yourself to some extent. i ran a 75 wet kit on my old mustang untuned for awhile with no problems. retard timing a degree or 2. run a pass and check your spark plugs. any sign of detonation, put in the next bigger fuel jet. if the plugs look soiled put in the next smaller fuel jet.

so let me ask you this, why you are going from tbi to carb? if so see if you can find a carb plate which will spray the nitrous in just below the carb.

also, nitrous will not affect the 02 sensor. its just nitrogen, which is the most prevalent gas in the atmosphere, and oxygen, the 2nd most.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Fancy Sparkle

ORIGINAL: brassknukl

ok so i was gonna buy this 400sb
but tuesday me and the woman went for a drive, ended up going to sandusky, drove basically all night.
went about 150 miles give or take driving randomly on $20 of gas at 3.50 a gallon. so about six gallons. 20+ mpgwith the tops out.
sweet right
so my friend starts talking to me about nitrous tonight. says itll be fine on the stock 305.
so im like hmm... mpgs and a boost when i want it...
im trying to learn as much as i can all at once so bear with me.

1991 RS 305tbi 5.0l 5 speed (t5)
40series flowmaster custom exhaust the rest is stock

now the questions for you nitrous wizards. i know nothing of your trickery.

seems like this is the most ponies for the $ right?
will i have to upgrade the internals?
can i use it with this setup? > http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
im gutting the ecu and all emissions and running my own gauges shouldnt be a problem right?
im keeping the O2 sensor to run to a airfuel gauge will nitrous screw with the sensor?
where can i hide the bottle in the 3rdgen? ("trunk" is full of speaker)
is 150a good size for this app?
am i going to blow myself/my engineup?
should i just get the 400sb and another car to cruise?

thanks in advance.

i've personally witnessed a stock 305 taking nitrous straight from the bottle into the intake and not blowing up. my friend did that 4 times till the bottle was empty, his old RS still runs like a champ.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Ninja Administrator

what do you mean straight from the bottle? do you mean no jets ie straight from the 4-AN line? because 2 things: a shot that large WILL destroy a motor unless he retarded the timing back to around 7 degrees. if you didnt mean this, ALL nitrous is straight from the bottle. it doesnt go anywhere inbetween the bottle and the motor. just through the solenoids, the jets, and then intake

Old 05-14-2008, 01:41 PM
1st Gear Member

so if i stick with the stock tbi can i still use a chip (non-ebay an actual chip)
i think this is the way im gonna go.
basically my friend that i bought the car from (who got it running in the first place) is super racing guy hes got like 2 bikes an old corvette a 4th gen z that hes building up now a boat like 3 trucks and hes like super crotch rocket drag racing guy.......
so he knows what hes talking about
hes telling me if i dont get the 400 just keep it stock change some gaskets and get a chip.
then strap a bottle with 150 shot to it.
then i can keep my gas mileage for summer cruisin and still get a good boostof power onmy car for cheap(er).

you guys are saying 150 is too much
would 100 be safer?is this really an acurate # forhpoutput?
and is this number determined by the injector or is there a pressure regulator.

if i do wreck the engine ill just get the 400 anyway and keep the nitrous for that.
thats not soemthing i wanna do but eh.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

ive seen a guy that goes to the drag stripquite oftenwith his bone stock 305 and sprays a 200 shot over and over and its still goin strong.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:53 PM

Well, you should be fine. Are you planning to boost all the time? If I were you i'd add on a CAI or SRI before I put on the Nitrous, just to be safe. You don't want to end up killing pistions and blowing your cylinders.

You should be fine though, just be careful, and make sure you dont boost over 75hp, until you get a few more parts onto your ride.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: buckfever

ive seen a guy that goes to the drag stripquite oftenwith his bone stock 305 and sprays a 200 shot over and over and its still goin strong.
he must be fattening that thing up like a thanksgiving turkey and pulling so much timing the car has downs syndrome. nitrous isnt as scary as most people make it out to be, but it needs to be respected, and a 200 shot on a stock motor is alot more than i would be comfortable with

still wanna know what RS meant by "straight from the bottle" [>:]

Old 06-02-2008, 05:36 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] i agree with specter a 200 shot on stock motor is probably a bit much if you intend to enjoy any longevity from your powerplant. as for dumping straight nitrous into the intake really wont do any good maybe a little harm as it will most likely lean out the stock mix. nitrous is no good without the assosiated and appropriate amount of gas to go with it. the dry set up is a bit limiting, i prefer the wet for better tunability even though its a bit more to install kurt

Quick Reply: nitrous on mostly stock???