LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

holley Ignition module and aftermarket chip

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 04:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default holley Ignition module and aftermarket chip

For the past couple of months my 93 camaro has trouble starting in the mornings,so i took it to a chevy dealer and they scanned it.They said that it showed there was nothing wrong,they said they called gm and they told them some other things to try.Still nothing they said the only thing they can determine is that its either the aftermarket chip or the ignition module.Is it true that ignition modules are like electric fuel pumps they work or they don't.Also can the computer chip be the culprit.Going out of town in a couple of weeks and i would like to drive my car,any help would be great. [sm=headbang.gif]

Old 03-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: holley Ignition module and aftermarket chip

If you still have the original chip, put it back in & see if it helps. Hard starting is usually causesd by poor ignition or poor fuel delivery.

Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail and check the operation of the pressure regulator. IF pressure is bad it could be due to a dirty fuel filter, bad requlator, or a fuel pump on the way out. If ok then check the ignition.

Usual ignition cuprits:

Bad plugs (lots of work)
Bad ignition wires (losts of work)
Dirty or corroded connectors between opti, ignition module, and coil. (quick & cheap)
Bad coil. (quick & not too expensive)
Bad ignition module (quick & mid price)
Bad optispark (expensive & lots of work)

As for electrical equipment, most time an electrical part will either work or not, but at times they will just work poorly and need replacement.

Old 03-25-2006, 06:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the tips Z28Pete, The dealership said they checked the fuel pressure and it read 40psi. I was thinking about doing the plugs and wires anyway. Can you suggest some good ones,i thought about MSD 8.5mm wires,are they worth the money?

Dirty or corroded connectors between opti, ignition module, and coil. Would not know where to start to find these,i have a Holly Annihilator.
I checked there web site but from what i can figure is that they don't sell ignition modules anymore,can't find anything on them.

As far as the coil and ignition module is there a way to test these?

But when it all comes down to it,i'm thinking opti because the guy i bought the car from said he used to pressure wash the motor.
He said he had replaced the water pump and opti at the same about a year and half before i bought the car and i've had it just over a year.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:35 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok one last question then, let's say i replace the entire ignition system-opti,coil,ignition module,wires,plugs. What's the chance that it's the computer chip?

Old 03-29-2006, 01:36 PM

a really small chance

Old 03-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Tech Droid

Check all the wiring connections to the coil for dirt & corrosion, diconnect them check them out & put them back.
The car uses an ignition coil module whih iterfaces the coil to the PCM (4 pin connector). The opti also has a 4 pin connector that conects the opti to the PCM. These are low voltage connectors and if they get grunged up they will cause wierd problems.

There are two temperature sensors you may want to look at as they tell the PCM about ambient temperetures, and if they lie the PCM may order the wrong A/F mix. One is the IAT (intake air temp) plugged into the intske elbow, the uter is the ECT (engine coolant temp sensor) plugged into the water pump. The deteriorate with age and not expensive. The computer uses the sensor data at start up time to get the proper mixture. Also make sure the RGR valve is closed at start time or it will cause a lean mixture.

The fuel pressure of 40 PSI is a little low, the FSM calls for 41 to 47 PSI. (possible dirty fuel filter) The pressure regulator should also be checked out.

The computer chip should be OK unless it is programmed wrong. If you don't have the original MEMCAL chip, you can order one from GM and see if it fixes anything. GM will have the latest issue with all the driveability upgades programmed into it.

Old 04-08-2006, 10:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

OK i'm trying to narrow down this problem before i start spending money to get it fixed. Now that the weather is starting to warm up it's starting to do a little better. So what ever the problem is cold weather definately affects it.