LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

help buld my 94z

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 04:30 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sgtdupree
motor is blown!!!! i took it to the shop and they said they can smell fumes comin outta the radiator. they said I need a new motor
your engine isn't "blown"

yes, you probably did damage to it. My hunch would be the heads need to come off.

If nothing else, now is a good time to send the heads to the local machine shop for a valve job and maybe some mild porting unless you can spring for Elliot to do them. It's a good time for 1.6 rr's, new springs and a cam.

You'll have the heads off, it sounds like the opti needs to come off so you are basically there.

I won't even ask how many times you rev'd the engine with open headers despite it running like crud. Live and learn. But, on the bright side, it's top end upgrade time.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

yup rev'd it way up. lol I had to drive it about 50 miles wit jus the headers to the exhaust shop. and yeah I think it's the heads u can c the exhaust comin outta the radiator. the shop I had it at don't seem to be worth ****. they ain't even give me a diagnosise they jus said yeah it's messed up u need a motor. guess I'll b sendin the top end to llyod sooner than later

Old 08-31-2011, 11:50 AM
4th Gear Member

ouch, you drove 50 miles with an engine that was sputtering and running way rich or worse, lean?

Did it overheat as well?

Spending money is never a bright side but, the heads must come off so you can now port the intake manifold a little, get the heads worked, slap in a new cam and timing set but you will also be able to look into the cylinders and also take some measurements. Hopfully the bottom end is OK. But, since you are in for a penny then why not a pound?

Drop the tranny (new cam needs new torque converter anyway) and then get a hoist and lift the engine a little and replace the oil pump and rear main seal. You'll have time while the heads are out.

Don't forget the new motor mounts and tranny mount.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

jus to play it safe I think I'ma rebuild my motor. I don't wanna redue the top end and there end up bein something wrong wit the bottom end. I know le3 from Lloyd gonna run me about 2200 and a forged 383 kit from jegs is 1600. I found a shop do the bottom end work for about 800. what other parts and how much more can I expect to spend and what other parts will I need. what size gears injectors what else?

Old 09-03-2011, 07:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes

talk to elliott about the injector sizes it will probably lbs. and you will need a tune on you pcm.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:04 AM
1st Gear Member

lt1 motor - YouTube

this is a link to my car. do you think its a blown head gasket or motor. im takin of the top end now. i dont hear a knockin. but then again i dont know what that knockin should sound like. im bout to be goin to ft hood so ima try and jus get it runnin decent before i get down there

Old 09-07-2011, 09:37 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

blown head gasket or warped/cracked head or block.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:01 AM
1st Gear Member

To remove my heads do I have to remove the rr and push rods?

Old 09-10-2011, 10:43 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sgtdupree
To remove my heads do I have to remove the rr and push rods?

get yourself a chunk of cardboard and put in 16 holes. Put each pushrod in a hole and mark them how they came out of the engine because tey are going back in the EXACT same place.

Just loosen the rocker nut and turn it to the sode so you can pull out the push rods. You'll want to check them. because of your 50 mile drive, revving the engine to hear the open headers when it was running like a turd you may have damaged your heads. They are aluminum. The block is probably OK but once the heads are off (please don't even consider re-using the head bolts) pay a good mechanic to ride out and inspect the deck for you.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:41 AM
1st Gear Member

do I need new head bolts everytime I remove the heads. what bolts do u recommend