LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Which fuel Injector for LT1 96

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 04:00 AM
Default MAF-O2-Fuel Inj

Originally Posted by Gorn
The O2 sensors job is to report back to the computer how much Oxygen is in the exhaust. A lot of oxygen means the engine is too lean (not enough fuel). Not enough Oxygen means the engine is to rich (too much fuel) the PCM uses this information to adjust your fuel mixture in real time. The O2 sensor need to warm up before it can work. If the black smoke you are seeing gets a coating of soot on the O2 sensor then it will not read the O2 correctly. It will pass this bad information on to the PCM. If the data is really bad the check engine lite will come on, but if the data is just a little bad it can make the car get bad fuel mileage and lose power.

Cheers

Ok, so I spent 2 weeks looking for a place which may offer Bench flow testing, but unfortunately none exists, in this tiny country which covers area of 765km2 only .
My last and only option was to get the injectors cleaned by a pressure cleaning via fuel pump line. I have attached few pics which will elaborate better;

The black smoke issue was sorted for practically 3 days but there on, black smoke at starup got worst.

My frustration got worst, so I ended cleaning the 02 sensor and MAF with a chemical my self and took the car for a computer test next day. Although, next morning before the computer test, to my surprise, the black smoke was hardly noticable. The computer test result was as under;

1) MAF Sensor circuit (Insufficent), fixed
2) Engine coolant temp sensor, (Circuit high voltage), fixed
3) Throttle position (Sensor circuit low voltage), fixed
4) Engine coolant temperature sensor circuit (intermittent low volt), fixed
5) Engine coolant temp sensor circuit (intermittent high voltage), fixed
6) Throttle position sensor (Circuit intermittent low volt), fixed
7) colling fan relay (control circuit), NOTFIXED
8) cooling fan relay 2 and 3 (control circuit), NOT FIXED
9) Transmission fluid pressure position (Switch circuit), fixed.

As the test didnt really say much about the MAF and O2 sensor, i have now ordered a new O2 sensor and MAF, which will arrive in couple weeks from the US.

I really wanted to keep y'all updated with the progress, as the information, feedback and advice received on this forum is immensely helpful. I am greatful to you all.

Please share any thoughts to my experience.
Sid

PS: Will let you know once MAF and O2 has been replaced, really hoping for the smoke, random missing, mixing(too lean, too rich) issues to be resolved, finally. Although, it has been a great learning so far

Last edited by princesid84; 11-30-2012 at 04:04 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Exclamation CAMS is drinking petrol!

You guys know the history of my CAMS, so shooting a question at you, as I am going nuts and cant figure out what is happening.

As you can see from my previous message, i cleaned the O2 sensor which helped on the black smoke issue but since then I have noticed that; the petrol consumption has sky rocketed. I drove 24km today and quarter of a tank got empty practically. I cant get my head around it.

I have checked, there are no petrol leaks. The car seems to do random misfire though (occasionally). Can someone advise please where to begin troubleshooting from.

Cheers

Old 12-05-2012, 04:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

at 1/4 tank i have about 2 gallons and it goes down fast cause i dont run out till e. last 4th gen ran out about 1/8 tank. dont depend on the gauge on these, tank is a wedge shape and is on end, fat at top and skinny at bottom.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by craby
at 1/4 tank i have about 2 gallons and it goes down fast cause i dont run out till e. last 4th gen ran out about 1/8 tank. dont depend on the gauge on these, tank is a wedge shape and is on end, fat at top and skinny at bottom.
Ok, I get this.
But what I dont get is is it normal for quarter of a tank to be consumed within 24 KM drive ? Is it not way too much consumption? It cant be normal.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:29 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

best way is to fill then drive and fill again. even that is not completely acurate. test evap, check 02 s for fouling, make sure cat is not plugged.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Maybe i am being ignorant here but wouldn't black smoke and cranking a lot before actually firing be pointing towards signs of a bad Opti? How many miles on the car? Craby, shut me up if I am giving wrong information here lol.