LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Engine Replacement Time...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Engine Replacement Time...

Well last fall I over revved the LT1 in my 96 vert and it resulted in a knock at mid range speeds somewhere in the bottom end. Starts at about 2200 rpm. So I did the right thing and rebuilt a motor from a 97 Firebird. Machined, honed, cranked, rings and gaskets, along with replacement of all wear parts. Plan to throw it in the Camaro in a few weeks. Are there any articles on the process, sort of a step by step checklist, that I can follow. Also, out the top or the bottom. I have seen video of out the bottom, but think out the top would be a better(safer) alternative. I am also looking for those little tips for removal, install like getting to a certain bolt or keeping or disconnecting exhaust manifolds. You get the idea. I am trying to eliminate the learn by failure method and using the best advice possible. Thanks for any and all help in advance.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:05 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

out the bottom is the easy way. the link to directions for removing engine is not working. ill have to put something together. pick up a factory shop/service manual.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Send me a message with a email address< i can email you a Step by Step PDF.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:12 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by engin70
I am also looking for those little tips for removal, install like getting to a certain bolt or keeping or disconnecting exhaust manifolds.
Some of the things I do are:

1 - get a bag of kitty litter, clay not the scoop & poop type, for oil & anti-freeze spils
2 - if you have a spill on cement, soak up as much as possible, then when you think it's clean, sprinkle some around and grind it in with your food to get into the little cracks and small indentations. Works for oils and anti-freeze.
3 - use small plastic baggies to bag nuts & bolts and label them. I use a small piece of paper and note where any larger bolts go if not all the same size, or where a spacer goes etc.
4 - put the baggies into a 2 litre pop bottle after cutting the top off in the order you took things apart. Most likely you will use them in the reverse order putting things back together
5 - save some pizza boxes for small parts. For something like a water pump with different length bolts, draw an outline on the lid of the pump, poke a hole with a screwdriver where the bolts go and stick bolts in the appropriate holes. Also will hold small brackets, relays etc
6 - if you are painting bolts/items before re-installing them, clean them up & put them back in the pizza box lid and then spray paint them. Makes a nice clean job. An empty, open pizza box also makes a good place to paint small items to eliminate those paint outlines that decorate your garage floor after painting
7 - if you are doing brakes, use vacuum tubing to plug the open lines and put a bolt or golf tee in the open end to plug it. Keeps dirt out and holds back fluid.
8 - if taking off doors, hood or trunk, drill a 1/8" hole through the hinges. Use a nail or blunt end of the drill bit to line the holes up before you tighten the bolts.
9 - if pulling a RWD driveshaft, slide a plastic bag over the transmission end to stop the fluid from coming out and wrap duct tape around it to seal it. It may not drip much when you pull the drive shaft out but it could if the transmission gets tipped. Same thing for power steering hoses etc

Doing any of the things above will make re-assembling go a lot faster.