Engine time

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 01:25 AM
Default Engine time

Ok I'm new to the fourms and this is my first restoration project ever. I have a 68 camaro ss sitting with striped intirior and no engine..I want to start with the engine but I need some suggestions on what to drop in her..I was considering a 350SB but Im not shure about this. Any helpfull ideas?

Old 05-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Default RE: Engine time

I have similar aspirations as you. I don't own a Camaro yet, but my plan is to find a fairly decent body and drop in a fuel injected GM crate engine, such as the small block "Ram Jet 350". It's rated at 350 hp and 400 lbs torque. 9.4:1 compression. I don't know the price of it, but I would suspect it would be around $5k-7k. Here's a link to this engine on GM's website. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

Ram jet 350

Old 05-26-2008, 04:03 PM

I also have a 68 RS with carb 350 (not original) and am thinking of going with a fuel injected down the road. I have looked at the Ram Jet 350 online and at a place near by the price is right at $5000 plus or minus, here of late it has been $5200. I dont know much about dropping it in but from some of the online info it seems to be an all inclusive crate motor minus motor mounts, adequate fuel supply and return etc.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:49 AM

Thank you Seeburg, but I am curious..whats tha max HP I could push that engine to?I know its impossible to give a perfect number but an estimate?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:57 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Guys, before you go too deep into this, mind you I am not try to de-sway any one, whatever number you come up with on the project....multiply by 2.5.

The new motor will need all new parts. And a fuel delivery system. New ront end to handle the mill, new rear to handle the mill, next thing you know you will be calling paint shops about estimates. And the list goes on.

Unless you guys have money to spend - in which case disregard what I just said.

The 68 SS had a few engine options, since yours is a rolling chassis I would worry about making a 'period correct' restoration. This will be more of a custom resto. The 350 SBC will work fine, the rear will handle the tourque and the front suspention will handle the weight. But you will want to upgrade that stuff soon anyways, it is fourty years old after all.

The biggest question is: what are your plans for the ride? Racer, pro-street, touring..etc...?

Old 05-30-2008, 10:19 AM

ORIGINAL: cplthomas

Guys, before you go too deep into this, mind you I am not try to de-sway any one, whatever number you come up with on the project....multiply by 2.5.

The new motor will need all new parts. And a fuel delivery system. New ront end to handle the mill, new rear to handle the mill, next thing you know you will be calling paint shops about estimates. And the list goes on.

The 68 SS had a few engine options, since yours is a rolling chassis I would worry about making a 'period correct' restoration. This will be more of a custom resto. The 350 SBC will work fine, the rear will handle the tourque and the front suspention will handle the weight. But you will want to upgrade that stuff soon anyways, it is fourty years old after all.

The biggest question is: what are your plans for the ride? Racer, pro-street, touring..etc...?
Using the RamJet as an example, it's about $5000+/-, is 350hp / 400lbs torque. Unless the car is already in need of front end work, I don't see you needing to spend money on non-engine stuff. This crate motor comes complete, from what I've read. You need to install an electric fuel pump and lines, but other than that, it seems to be a true drop-in engine. A drawback to this particular engine, is the computer control is taken from a marine application, and is sealed. Re-programming it does not sound like it's easy to do or even possible, so what you get it what you get. I like what I've read about it, and am considering it for a future project, unless the exisiting motor is fine to begin with.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:12 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

ORIGINAL: seeburg220

ORIGINAL: cplthomas

Using the RamJet as an example, it's about $5000+/-, is 350hp / 400lbs torque. Unless the car is already in need of front end work, I don't see you needing to spend money on non-engine stuff. This crate motor comes complete, from what I've read. You need to install an electric fuel pump and lines, but other than that, it seems to be a true drop-in engine. A drawback to this particular engine, is the computer control is taken from a marine application, and is sealed. Re-programming it does not sound like it's easy to do or even possible, so what you get it what you get. I like what I've read about it, and am considering it for a future project, unless the exisiting motor is fine to begin with.
I was thinking more along the lines of the ecm. If it is a non emissions car you should be good. But if it comes with a cumputer you will need to install o2 sensors.....etc. But like you said, if the current motor is fine, its always cheaper and easier to keep it and build from what you already have.

Good luck to both of you eithe way, keep us posted.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:05 AM

ive looked into putting an ls1 or ls2 into my camaro, but with the ecm and all you have to put in throttle position and all kinds of stuff its really a headache,