Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

replacement engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 01:40 AM
2nd Gear member
Question replacement engine?

hey everyone, my 350 is getting pretty worn out, i think my ancient tear drop cam seems worn and i dont feel like playing with just yet. i was thinking about getting a rebuilt crate engine while i slowly learn how to and rebuild the engine i have in it now in my garage. since this is my daily driver i need an engine in the car, i could go maybe a week or 2 and share my dad's truck, but still. does anyone know any good websites that i can get rebuilt without a core charge or something? i dont have the money to get a brand new one off the bat, but it seems like alot of these sites want a core charge or wont give me anything more than 280hp or something lol i dont want a 500hp monster, but i want it to be fast, thanks guys!

Old 01-17-2010, 01:48 AM

check out blueprintengines.com. they have good motors for everything......even 500hp monsters, lol. but they are relatively cheap. i think their 383 stroker is like 4k. the motors they provide are somewhat powerful for the money, and they have the ability to be built as well. they all run on pump gas so you be any worse off then you already are. check them out they have good stuff for cheap. also the engines are brand new, so you can pull some of the things off of you old motor, clean them up and throw them on your new one. hope this helps!!!!

kev

Old 01-17-2010, 02:15 AM
2nd Gear member

that site is great, what do you think about this engine? http://www.blueprintengines.com/popular_configurations/index.html?topic=specs&pc_id=94
i assume the 375hp 400 torque is at the crankshaft or the flywheel? how much do you think it would lose at the wheels? and when it says "base" engine, what does it need? water pump, alternator, power steering pump, what else? i assume most of the things i have on my current 350 would work on dressing this engine, but i need a new carb.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:43 AM

i love that site. if it weren't for the fact that im building a 763ci motor i would buy from them.

but as for your questions.....

yes, 375/400 is at the crank/flywheel or flexplate (dont know if you run auto or man). as far as the "base" motor goes.....think of it as a long block....you get the block, rotating assembly, full heads, cam, and all that stuff, but you still need to add things like water pump, alt, dampner, pulleys, intake man, carb, so on and so on......

Now they have the SAME motor in a "dressed" fashion for an extra $700 (i think, i looked yesterday) now that comes with a new card and intake manifold, curing your carb issue. thats not a bad price to pay.....but you would still need the other things like water pump, alt, blah, blah, blah......but 3500 for a new motor that has 375hp/400tq.....purtty good by me....

just to give you an example....my crank for my motor costs a little more than that motor.

if you dont want to spend the extra cash you can go to www.jegs.com, they have either rebuild kits for carbs or they have some pretty decent carb choices, they have like 150 different carbs to choose from, but most are for race applications, but they have holley and demon as their main two manufacturers.

as far as your rebuild goes....look at jegs.com or just get on google and search the hell outta everything you can think of! they are so many places to find so many things for 350's you can maybe even go down the route of building up a nice stroker in your old motor. there are some websites out there that have all the info on the stock capabilities of the 350 (like max stroke, max bore, blah, blah) search it out. thats what i do.....i research and research because they dont make alot of motors the size im looking for.....

google is your best asset in your wanting to rebuild you can find tips pointers and other good general info on just about anything....if you have a question..type it in and hit enter, if the results your looking dont come up you may have to modify your Q a lil but this is EXACTLY what i do when i cant either figure it out or find it.

i wish you the best of luck in your swap/rebuild and i hope i've helped you out a bit, i didnt want to sound condescending, i just REALLY love google....lol....so please dont take it that way....good luck and have fun with your motor!!!! if you need any more help you can lemme know

Old 01-18-2010, 01:35 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by kev-guy
i love that site. if it weren't for the fact that im building a 763ci motor i would buy from them.

but as for your questions.....

yes, 375/400 is at the crank/flywheel or flexplate (dont know if you run auto or man). as far as the "base" motor goes.....think of it as a long block....you get the block, rotating assembly, full heads, cam, and all that stuff, but you still need to add things like water pump, alt, dampner, pulleys, intake man, carb, so on and so on......

Now they have the SAME motor in a "dressed" fashion for an extra $700 (i think, i looked yesterday) now that comes with a new card and intake manifold, curing your carb issue. thats not a bad price to pay.....but you would still need the other things like water pump, alt, blah, blah, blah......but 3500 for a new motor that has 375hp/400tq.....purtty good by me....

just to give you an example....my crank for my motor costs a little more than that motor.

if you dont want to spend the extra cash you can go to www.jegs.com, they have either rebuild kits for carbs or they have some pretty decent carb choices, they have like 150 different carbs to choose from, but most are for race applications, but they have holley and demon as their main two manufacturers.

as far as your rebuild goes....look at jegs.com or just get on google and search the hell outta everything you can think of! they are so many places to find so many things for 350's you can maybe even go down the route of building up a nice stroker in your old motor. there are some websites out there that have all the info on the stock capabilities of the 350 (like max stroke, max bore, blah, blah) search it out. thats what i do.....i research and research because they dont make alot of motors the size im looking for.....

google is your best asset in your wanting to rebuild you can find tips pointers and other good general info on just about anything....if you have a question..type it in and hit enter, if the results your looking dont come up you may have to modify your Q a lil but this is EXACTLY what i do when i cant either figure it out or find it.

i wish you the best of luck in your swap/rebuild and i hope i've helped you out a bit, i didnt want to sound condescending, i just REALLY love google....lol....so please dont take it that way....good luck and have fun with your motor!!!! if you need any more help you can lemme know
lol google is my best friend! and you helped me out A LOT! i may just get the dressed engine because i rebuilt my carb already and it is still fussy, plus the dressed engine will save me some time and money when you put all of the things in account, i could use my alt and all that jazz, maybe my water pump, im not sure, do you think a 4spd T-10 can handle that kind of torque? it seems like a pretty good trans, i want to change it eventually to either a Vette 6spd, or a 4spd Muncie lol i loooovvveee the muncie sound =]

Old 01-18-2010, 08:45 AM

i tell ya what bro the the t-56 magnum is proly your best bet if you want big hp down the road.....if not and you are satisfied with 375 then muncie is definitely the way to go. the vette 6er i dont know much about...i recently came into the chevy world....my 91 mustang has been givin me issues and i said to hell with it. but the t56 mag is the viper version that will hold up to 750tq....so if you want large numbers down the way then you may want to look into that....bout 3K brand new. any 6er though, if you are looking for 6 gears should handle what you'd have in that new motor. as far as parasitic loss (the amount of hp/tq loss from crank to ground) depends on a certain number of factors. if you have an auto trans you are lookin at 20% loss if you run stock everything like motor mounts tranny mount and flexplate and driveshaft. if you run solid motor and trans mounts and aluminum flywheel and driveshaft you will have about 8-10% loss with a mantran. 12-15% with autotrans. all in all you should consider what power you want to run in the long term so you arent swapping trannies every time you get a new motor. a good site i use for trannies is promotionpowertrain.com, they have stuff for 4-6er's and they also offer new rear ends, complete rear ends. so like i said think about what your ultimate goal is and go on that, its easier to have a big tranny that can handle big power (without having big hp) than replacing your tranny everytime you get bigger numbers. so research research research......i have spent the last 2 years researching the "perfect" car for me.....and i still am. if you want a nice cruise around car thats got good power when you want it but is still mpg freindly, then stick with a muncie or any 6er.....if you want a bit more power to dip into the 425-475 range....look at promotionpowertrain.com, they have a little bit of everything.

but make sure you PLAN everything before you start buying parts and once you start stick to it....you can always save up some more $$$ later and get something a little bigger or better........(blueprintengines.com has 383's with like 420-430hp for $4-6K). so think with your pocket and dont let yourself get too ahead of what is feasable for your car, after all it is your daily driver. but just cuz its your daily driver doesnt mean it cant have some more "go juice" lol.

so have fun and do whats best for you....dont go HUGE unless you already have a car to drive and one thats just waiting for a motor like i do.

Kev

Old 01-18-2010, 02:06 PM
2nd Gear member

lol im not going super big time, this is my daily driver, i just want to be able to spank any ricer i meet, i can do that now, but i want to really let them know who's boss lol, im thinking about getting a 3.42 10 bolt posi rear, hopefully that will help me out a little bit, im all about the 0-60 speed lol but still want a somewhat practical DD, yes i know its an oxymoron lol

Old 01-18-2010, 03:30 PM

its ok i completely understand!! ok so i regular ole 6er will do fine, but as far as the vette 6er......dont really know although im sure it will do just fine. but make sure you check every option available.....one maybe a better deal than another, you may just not see it at first!! happy parts hunting!!! happy to help and willing to always help!!!

kev

Old 01-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Just out of curiosity have you done a compression check on your motor?
I mean you may be able to breath some life back into the old girl with just a new cam,lifters and t-chain set...well maybe some valve seals too if need be.
Then you can find another block to build and drive this one now without all the hassle of doing an engine R&R twice.
There are some pretty good cam and lifer kits in the Summit brand and timing sets are cheap,wouldn't cost ya a whole lot to do and might run pretty strong for s while.
This is something that can be done over a weekend with ease and in a single day if you get after it early and stick with it.