LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

chandler optispark

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 07:47 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by osduck5
I have it sitting up on jack stands and was under there yesterday checking out a leaky transmission line and was looking at the passenger side. Stock manifolds and I can't even get my hand up in there because of the Y pipe. I was actually thinking about dropping the Y pipe to get to the wires. Long tubes are on my Christmas list along with the plastic dash pad!

not to totally derail this poor guys thread but you say "leaky tranny line". Are you sure it's not a seal on the tranny? Wipe it down real good and keep an eye on it.

Now, back to the Chandler optispark. The way I see it is Chandler must need to stock some of those units from the Chinese ODM. Let's assume that Chandler needs to make 30 points on items that they resell (such as the optispark). That puts their cost at around $99 landed (purchase price and freight/customs)

So, I'm all for trying something once but I'm not sure I would want to try a sub $100 optispark. Who knows, maybe they are good and all. I also don't support paying the inflated price for MSD optisparks or plug wires. I don't get a warm and fuzzy overpaying just for a name.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:27 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I was able to do all plugs with stock manifolds in about an hour all from the top.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:53 PM
1st Gear Member

no the wires take about 30 minutes, the plugs about 2 hours without removing stuff. and the opti about 4 to 6 if you dont know what your doing and you pull the front end off your car. its a whole day job, maybe more. but im not doing it. im paying my mechanics to do it and let me watch and its only costing 250 for everything and i will know how to do it. always ask if you can watch at a lower shop the first time you have to do something really hard, (chicken like me) pay extra and they cant say no! i read good things about the chandler opti so i will try it and pray it doesnt go bad. what does worry me is my cheap *** water pump!

Old 11-01-2010, 01:03 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Never had good luck with auto part stores water pumps. GM has always worked best for me.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:54 PM
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=torque_is_good;470589]not to totally derail this poor guys thread but you say "leaky tranny line". Are you sure it's not a seal on the tranny? Wipe it down real good and keep an eye on it.

Yes, it is the line. The back of the motor and under the inspection plate is dry. This is the line coming from the cooler and going back to the tranny. There is a rubber hose connection on both lines just about where the front tire is located. I don't know if that is original or if someone cut the lines and used a rubber hose to connect them back together but the hoses look like they are molded to bend at certain places. One of them is swelled on the end and allowing fluid to leak from it.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:30 AM
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=osduck5;470764]
Originally Posted by torque_is_good
not to totally derail this poor guys thread but you say "leaky tranny line". Are you sure it's not a seal on the tranny? Wipe it down real good and keep an eye on it.

Yes, it is the line. The back of the motor and under the inspection plate is dry. This is the line coming from the cooler and going back to the tranny. There is a rubber hose connection on both lines just about where the front tire is located. I don't know if that is original or if someone cut the lines and used a rubber hose to connect them back together but the hoses look like they are molded to bend at certain places. One of them is swelled on the end and allowing fluid to leak from it.
good time for a tranny flush AND.........install an in line filter.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by imcdowel
no the wires take about 30 minutes, the plugs about 2 hours without removing stuff. and the opti about 4 to 6 if you dont know what your doing and you pull the front end off your car. its a whole day job, maybe more. but im not doing it. im paying my mechanics to do it and let me watch and its only costing 250 for everything and i will know how to do it. always ask if you can watch at a lower shop the first time you have to do something really hard, (chicken like me) pay extra and they cant say no! i read good things about the chandler opti so i will try it and pray it doesnt go bad. what does worry me is my cheap *** water pump!
Definitely change with an OEM water pump at the same time. Thanks for the business!