LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

chandler optispark

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 12:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default chandler optispark

i ordered a chandler motorsports optispark yesterday and am doing the whole ignition system whenever it gets here. its the lifetime warranty one and only costs 140$ i want your guys opinion on it. also on this thread i will update how well mine does every 10k or so. i got the cheap wires since that's easy to replace and they conduct better. also some ac delco rapid fire plugs. any good? thx
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/new-o...item4cee04fc51

Old 10-31-2010, 12:24 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

did you just say spark plug wires are easy to replace? yep, easier if the opti is outa the way but even then its a chore. keep some bandaids around and have fun.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

i meant easier than an opti and plug change lol. i expect it to be hard though. i just really dont want bad spark plugs. so i went delco. should i take them back and get better ones? they are 5 bucks a plug.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:47 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

are they iridium?

Old 10-31-2010, 12:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 10-31-2010, 01:04 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

platinum is ok ive used them before and they last pretty good. stock are iridium.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:45 PM
4th Gear Member

I was going to purchase an opti from them as well when I thought mine was bad. However, I did not have an opti problem. I did PM them with some questions and concerns and they responded to my questions as well as a few post I have made here. Seem to be worthy of purchasing from.

I bought JEGS plug wires for $40 and put 4 of them on yesterday without much problem, drivers side. However, the passenger side looks like it is going to be more complicated. Just looking at it, it looks like it will be easier to replace the wires by removing the altenator and it was late and I decided to wait until another day.

I used NGK plugs that I put in when I replaced the head gaskets. However, this car is just a plain Z with only upgrade I can see is the CAI and I don't plan on getting crazy with it.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:59 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by osduck5
I was going to purchase an opti from them as well when I thought mine was bad. However, I did not have an opti problem. I did PM them with some questions and concerns and they responded to my questions as well as a few post I have made here. Seem to be worthy of purchasing from.

I bought JEGS plug wires for $40 and put 4 of them on yesterday without much problem, drivers side. However, the passenger side looks like it is going to be more complicated. Just looking at it, it looks like it will be easier to replace the wires by removing the altenator and it was late and I decided to wait until another day.

I used NGK plugs that I put in when I replaced the head gaskets. However, this car is just a plain Z with only upgrade I can see is the CAI and I don't plan on getting crazy with it.

welcome to the wonderful world of the passenger side

2,4 8 I do from the top and # 6 from below. I get the passenger side done in about 15-20 minutes.............no kidding

but here's the secret, I have Pacesetter Long tubes and throw it on a lift for #6 plug

with stock exh manifolds, seriously, you may want to remove the motor mount bolts and lift the engine a little. i can't imagine trying plugs/wires with stock exh manifolds.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:07 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
welcome to the wonderful world of the passenger side

2,4 8 I do from the top and # 6 from below. I get the passenger side done in about 15-20 minutes.............no kidding

but here's the secret, I have Pacesetter Long tubes and throw it on a lift for #6 plug

with stock exh manifolds, seriously, you may want to remove the motor mount bolts and lift the engine a little. i can't imagine trying plugs/wires with stock exh manifolds.
I have it sitting up on jack stands and was under there yesterday checking out a leaky transmission line and was looking at the passenger side. Stock manifolds and I can't even get my hand up in there because of the Y pipe. I was actually thinking about dropping the Y pipe to get to the wires. Long tubes are on my Christmas list along with the plastic dash pad!

Old 10-31-2010, 10:43 PM

Newb to the site here, I picked up a 94 Z28 cheep in July, because the kid who owned it could no longer afford to pay other people to work on it LOL!!. It is a ***** to wrench, but still fun!

I'll be dealing with plugs wires, leaks, etc this winter, and decided to just drop the Power train out the bottom, so I can easily get to all the things that need attention. It's got to be easier than buying 10 boxes of band aids!

Quick Reply: chandler optispark