LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

gasoline problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default gasoline problem

so i had my 95 z parked for about a month. i turned it on every once in a while but not everyday. i just finished installing my msd ignition. the first time i started it with the new coil and box it was very shaky and had no power. it finally went back to normal and then it died when i test drove it. it didnt mark low fuel but i still went to buy fuel put it in the car and then turned it on. car is back to normal after i put new fuel. my question is if the old gasoline wasnt working since it was just sitting there.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:38 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

let me get a little more info... before it ran crappy how long since it was started? how much gas was in it when you parked it? did you mess with the ignition system after you put new fuel in it?

i defiantly dont recommend letting the car sit for any length of time over 2 weeks with out a full tank of gas and some stabil gas turns (to kerosene i think) rather quickly as for running that to keep the injectors from gumming up and the internal parts moving and lubed (theres other reasons too)

Old 11-17-2010, 06:22 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

a month is not long enough to cause gas to go bad. it is long enough for moisture to form in the tank if its not full. pull the fuel filter and dump it in a clear container from the tank side to see if theres water in it. the other thing that comes to mind is the fuel pressure regulator, it may have stuck open and not let the system pressure up. fuel pump may be getting tired to, you may want to check fuel pressure for piece of mind.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Was your level low in the gas tank? Possibly your gas gauge is lying to you and it was lower than you think. A car sitting a month, two, or even three, isn't going to make the engine shutter like that because of the gas going bad. You may build up some moisture in the tank, but it isn't going to accumulate that fast. I've had cars sit for 6 months or more with no ill side-effects like that from the gas. And, I drive the 69 so infrequently, I've probably filled the tank maybe only twice this summer (each tankful lasts 2-3 months), and it still runs fine.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Tech Droid

Probably ran out of gas, can't trust GM gas gages.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I would say that it sounds as though you would start the car for short intervals of time and turn it off before it got warm is that correct? If that is the case, the o2 sensors would be reading in open loop (off the pcm predetermined fuel map[start-up])and the pcm would dump fuel into the cylinders to heat the motor up. I think you fouled the plugs slightly by not allowing the car to run for a sufficient period of time (enter closed-loop), and after running for a time they cleared up. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah it didnt have a tank full of gas. it was probably moisture because as soon as i turned it on it had a little trouble but eventually it went back to normal and is running great now. what a weird car.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 383Stro
I would say that it sounds as though you would start the car for short intervals of time and turn it off before it got warm is that correct? If that is the case, the o2 sensors would be reading in open loop (off the pcm predetermined fuel map[start-up])and the pcm would dump fuel into the cylinders to heat the motor up. I think you fouled the plugs slightly by not allowing the car to run for a sufficient period of time (enter closed-loop), and after running for a time they cleared up. Just my 2 cents.
thats a big probality now that i think of it. whenever i turned it on i didnt wait more than 10 mins to turn it off. i only turned it on so the battery wouldnt die. thanks alot.