LS Series Tech 1998-2002

No power, car shut down

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Default No power, car shut down

Alright, so i just had my motor mounts replaced yesterday and I'm thinking maybe they unplugged something, or something came undone maybe?

Anyway, i was driving my car home tonight and i noticed the air was blowing a little hot...That was weird, but i figured I'll look at it tomorrow..Then, i noticed the lights looked very dim. (odd) Then, my radio suddenly turned off and the lights got dimmer. At this point, i realize the car is not getting power and the damn thing is probably going to turn off. The lights kept getting dimmer and dimmer and just as i pulled up to my house the car started bogging like it was about to turn off. I turned off the lights and shut the car off, and my lights stayed up. I guess the car didn't have enough power to turn the lights down...

Anyway, what's the deal here? What can cause this to happen, or what should i look at tomorrow to get my car running again? Could something have came loose? I find it hard to believe ironically after i get my car back from the mechanic it's doing this...

What should i do or check?

Thanks again.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:23 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check the wires to the alternator. your battery ran down so either u have a bad connection, short or the alternator is not working. soo it would be a good idea to put a charger on it overnight and if u have to use it tomorrow u better not run anything like lights radio heater air conditioning on the way. bring jumper cables and an extra battery if u have one. depending on how far it is u might make it to work. i would suggest u check the wires and if dont find anything take the alternator off and take it to autozone and have them test it.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by craby
check the wires to the alternator. your battery ran down so either u have a bad connection, short or the alternator is not working. soo it would be a good idea to put a charger on it overnight and if u have to use it tomorrow u better not run anything like lights radio heater air conditioning on the way. bring jumper cables and an extra battery if u have one. depending on how far it is u might make it to work. i would suggest u check the wires and if dont find anything take the alternator off and take it to autozone and have them test it.
How hard is it to remove the alternator? Anything tricky i should be aware of, or is it simple? Maybe a guide i can follow online somewhere? (I'm not really mechanically inclined, but i can follow instructions)

Is it possible the battery is just dead and the alternator is fine? Or, would that not make sense since i was driving?

Old 08-16-2009, 11:44 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

thats why i was saying make sure the wires that go to the alternator are ok. should be a larger wire to one post and a smaller wire/wires to a plugin underneath. easy to change the alternator. disconnect the battery. need to put a socket or wrench on the belt tensoner and turn it to lossen the drive belt so u can take it off the alternator (should be a belt picture on a sticker under the hood or in the owners manual), take those two wires off. the plugin one has a clip thing holding it in so u have to hold that clip up and pull the connector out of the alternator. then theres a couple bolts and a brace holding the alternator in place. looks like it will be easier to unbolt it first then get the wire plugin.

Last edited by craby; 08-16-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:48 PM

Any pictures or a guide to follow on the internet you've seen? (Tools to use, etc)

Old 08-17-2009, 12:03 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

my book is for a lt1 so your ls different than what ive got. google it and see what comes up. they could have pulled that plugin lose or forgot to hook it back up when they lifted the motor to change the motor mounts. the plugin carries the command from the ignition switch to make the alternator work when the car is started.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:44 PM
1st Gear Member

its really not a hard job I think all u need is socket set or set of standard wrenches. but also you need to take the tension of off the belt.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:24 PM

Resolved, thanks everyone.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:11 AM
98Z

What turned out to be the problem?