Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Problems with header and y-pipe clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Problems with header and y-pipe clearance?

I have flowmaster catback's right now and was planning on puttin some slp long tube's and y-pipe to go along with it. I'm in the process of putting 18's on the car and then dropping it probably 1.3" all the way around. Will I have a problem clearing the ground as a daily driver with the LT's and y-pipe?

Old 06-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Problems with header and y-pipe clearance?

You may have some issues, but hopefully not too much. SLP says with their headers ground clearance is decreased by 1.5 inches, so your total decrease would be almost 3 inches. If you go for the SLP headers you can't have an auto though, and if you're looking to stay emissions friendly you can't use theirs either. Just some considerations, they're pretty pricey too, for a bit more you can get some Kooks!

Old 06-08-2007, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member

by emissions friendly you mean sound friendly? Are you saying the car might be a bit too loud with em on? hmm

Why can't you have an auto with lt's? What other headers would you recommend besides kooks?

Old 06-09-2007, 12:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I thought it was just auto convertables that couldnt fit the headers?

Old 06-11-2007, 01:51 AM
Overdrive Member

Alright, sorry, I didn't read close enough...It's true, only auto Convertables can't use them, so most people will be fine. On the emissions side, it looks like the headers have the emissions hookups(and I dont' mean sound, I mean smog testing, since you have an 02, in Colorado you'd have to start getting emissions inspected every year now that the car is 5 years old). So for the headers your emissions would be fine, on the other hand, the Y pipe doesn't have cats built in, so it is for "off road use only" because your car probably won't pass without cats, at least not the visual inspection.

And what would I recomend other than Kooks, nothing Actually, I always recomend Kooks, Stainless Works looks like they make a very quality product, and the SLP headers are nice too, but the dont' make Long Tubes for my car, and they're as expensive as Kooks. I got the Kooks because they have the best clearance, but there's a lot more parts for the LS1 Camaros. In the least, you could get the SLP package along with 2 highflow cats from Magnaflow or Random Tech and weld them in.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Overdrive Member

whats so different about the auto converts that they cant use them ?

Old 06-11-2007, 03:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm trying to stay away from any kind of hassle what so ever which means I don't want to get into any kind of welding. I'd like to keep it all bolt on. So call me a noobie but I'm assuming the y-pipe is what contains the cat. converters. So if thats the case, I definitely want to keep it emissions friendly cause I really don't want to have to take it all apart later cause its illegal. Around here cops and inspections are pretty strict about that kinda stuff. So If I went with flowmaster catbacks and flowtech lt's, what kind of y-pipe could I get to match it that would have cat. converters? If I'm not talking correctly about the complete exhaust system plz feel free to correct me.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Overdrive Member

Your best bet is to get a Y pipe that comes from the same manufacture as your headers, that is made to coorespond with said headers and already has cats welded into it. So if Flowtech offers a catted Y pipe, purchase that one. Trust me when I say I've done a ****-ton of research on exhaust, and for LT1's really the only headers/Y-pipe that are emissoins compatible that made sense were the Kooks and Stainless Works. It could be the same for the LS1 as well, but if you don't get a Y pipe that comes from the people who make your headers you're going to have problems with everything lining up.

My advice(and what I did), is hook up with the guys at www.speed-eng.com who sponsor this sight. They run deals on Kooks products from time to time. See if and when they'll be running a sale on Kooks products and work from there.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Thereason i got fromSLP on whyconvert autos wheredifferent isthatconverts had to fit the "rag-top" in the back of the car so some of the dimensions are a little different