Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

78 exhaust and headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Default 78 exhaust and headers

Hey guys, I'm new to Camaros. Just looking for some input and help.

My 78 Z28 has a bone stock engine and a 4 speed. I previously had an 86 442 with a 74 Olds 350 in it with true duals and headers and you could hear it coming up the block and sounded great. I'm looking for that kind of sound with my new Z28, especially since you don't really hear it 10 feet away.

Is it too tight for headers in there? and is it even worth it since it's a low compression/low hp motor?

I was looking into a mandrel bent pypes system and flowmaster 40s since I don't want cats. Any help or input would be appreciated.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:08 AM
1st Gear Member

If you're going to go with Flowmaster 40 series mufflers, why not just go with their complete exhaust system? A lot of their systems say they'll fit '67-'74 or '70-'74 but they'll fit '67-'81 or '70-'81 Camaro and Firebirds.

I went with the Flowmaster 2 1/2" dual exhaust system that uses the single transverse flow muffler that go's between the rear end and gas tank. It has more ground clearance. It has the deep Flowmaster sound. Honestly, it's a little louder then I thought it would be. Not to bad though.

You're going to have to buy a set of headers that will work with your 4 speed. Maybe Summit, Jegs and whoever elses web site will have that info. Or look at the manufactures web site or call them.

Good luck!

Old 07-21-2010, 11:54 AM
2nd Gear member

Is it worth it? Really, did you ask that?
Its still a 350, cam, carb intake, exhaust and your not in the low hp range any more.

They fit fine, and its flowmasters or your a noob.
If you really broke they make some knock-offs, but get flowmasters.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:57 AM
2nd Gear member

You're going to have to buy a set of headers that will work with your 4 speed. Maybe Summit, Jegs and whoever elses web site will have that info. Or look at the manufactures web site or call them.
Really? I didnt? I am using the same headers with a turbo 350 as I did with an M22.
I may have just got lucky, I didn't know it mattered.
What is the difference. I know the starter is different, but not enough to effect the headers. I still have the mount for the clutch peddle, it is above the header.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by gfrench
Is it worth it? Really, did you ask that?
Its still a 350, cam, carb intake, exhaust and your not in the low hp range any more.

They fit fine, and its flowmasters or your a noob.
If you really broke they make some knock-offs, but get flowmasters.
What I meant was, are headers worth it on a stock engine like that, or would just the exhaust be fine.

But I've actually decided I'm going to go with (and save up for) an Edelbrock top end kit (heads, cam, intake, new carb and do the headers and exhaust when I'm doing that. So for now I'm just swapping a test pipe for my cat and probably throwing on some flowmasters.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by NYH1
If you're going to go with Flowmaster 40 series mufflers, why not just go with their complete exhaust system? A lot of their systems say they'll fit '67-'74 or '70-'74 but they'll fit '67-'81 or '70-'81 Camaro and Firebirds.

I went with the Flowmaster 2 1/2" dual exhaust system that uses the single transverse flow muffler that go's between the rear end and gas tank. It has more ground clearance. It has the deep Flowmaster sound. Honestly, it's a little louder then I thought it would be. Not to bad though.

Good luck!
My biggest concern was if the other complete kits that are for the older camaros would fit on the car, but most people say the earlier kits will fit, so I'll probably wind up doing the flowmaster kit when I do the top end kit.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gfrench
Really? I didnt? I am using the same headers with a turbo 350 as I did with an M22.
I may have just got lucky, I didn't know it mattered.
What is the difference. I know the starter is different, but not enough to effect the headers. I still have the mount for the clutch peddle, it is above the header.
I don't know, maybe if you go from a manual to an auto is doesn't matter. Maybe with some brands it doesn't matter either. I've seen notes on different header manufactures sites and in their catalogs while I was looking for headers that said they won't work with manual trannys, A/C, smog pump, ect. I'm just saying to make sure before he buys them that they'll fit, that's all.