Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust Identification

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Default Exhaust Identification

When I bought my '94 Z28, it was clear by the way the car looks (and the way it sounds ) that it had an aftermarket exhaust set-up. However, the guy that I bought the car from wasn't the one to make the modification. It must have been done by one of the previous. It's not a big deal but I was wondering if there is any way to know the manufacturer of the exhaust system just by looking at it. I had the car up on a lift and looked over the whole thing but couldn't find anything to identify it by. The only thing I could find was the manufacturer of the clamps used to support the pipes. (5 Star Manufacturing)

Also, the car has aftermarket headers on it. I was just wondering what the difference is between long tube and short tube headers. (Appearance, Price, and Performance)

Thanks a lot,
Stefan

Old 07-23-2010, 07:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

What does the muffler look like? Some muffler manufacturers put their name right on it. Others have distinct features. I can try and take a look if you take a picture to identify it. The shorty headers are basically built the same way factory ones are but for a freer flow, they won't look very different and range in price from about 150-450 from my experience, i could be wrong on how high the price may climb though. The long tube headers are as the title says, longer from the block to the intermediate pipe and allow the most flow of the exhaust from the engine out, they increase horsepower (as do shortys) and you'll see a larger power increase in the low to mid range. These are more expensive, often costing 500 to over 1000 dollars. Hope i helped a little

Old 07-24-2010, 06:20 PM

Yeah that's the kind of answer I was looking for. The muffler is like an oval can with with one pipe from the engine going in and then two pipes going out the the tips. I looked over the whole system pretty thoroughly but I'm not sure if I checked the side of the muffler for a stamp. Ill look tomorrow and if there is not marking on the side then i will put up a couple pictures.