General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replacing a starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 09:30 AM
Default Replacing a starter

Hi, I'm a beginner at doing my own work but i know a lil to get me by. I got a few questions probably dumb ones but i dont know the answers. First My baby (86 I-ROC 305 tpi) stopped running in the fall. I was too poor to have it towed to my uncles garage; He does all my work for me and I feel so bad for it im trying to do it myself. I got a haynes manual and prepared to get down and dirty.

The car wouldn't start on a rainy night then the next day it ran. A week later i left the lights on during the day when i was sleeping( I work third shift). The battery died from it and it wouldnt hold a charge. But it would start up and when i jumped her. I bought her a new battery I went to walmart and bought the best one cause I also ran a 1000watt amp. She was golden for another week when she stopped running. She wouldn't take a jump. She didnt even try to turn over. All i heard was one faint lil click like a connection was being made when i turned the key. My uncle told me to test the battery. I went out bought a charger hooked it up it was good. He then told me try the altenator, didnt make sense to me but i thought he's the mechanic. Took it out and went to auto zone to have it tested. It was bad. Bought a new one and installed it, gave the battery a charge and prayed. She only gave me the faint click. Haynes said to check the starter by running a wire from the battery to the starter. I tried it and I got the same click. I started to pull the starter, got all the bolts out and realized the y-pipe locks the starter into place. I cant get the car up high enough to get under it and fight with the rusted bolts to the Y-pipe and lack of money and winter have forced me to halt my efforts to revive my love. If anyone can give me advice on how to get her up higher or even if I should pull the starter please let me know.

I do miss her, I drive an hour to work every night and its a fun windy road but not in the van im now driving. She is my second I lost my 89 6cyl to cam shaft bearings going out. I cried the day I sold her for $150 and I paid way too much for my 86 to loose her yet.

Old 03-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM
Default RE: Replacing a starter

i dont know about this....the starter shouldnt be stuck by the Y pipe, it should come right out. it should pull out towards the rear of the car. but, then again maybe someone changed the Y pipe and put it too close or bent it? i dont know but it should be able to come right out. also, check your battery cables, in case one is shorting out against the body and draining your battery.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:35 AM
1st Gear Member

ok I know it can be a hastle to do a starter. I had to do one on my friends formula. you have to get it in the air high enough to where you can get under it. if you dont have a jack use the one for your spare. get under it so you can see what your doing. now Patrick is right the Y pipe should not be getting in the way unless someone else did something to it. now what you need to do is look for a whole that the starter can slide out of. make sure you have all the wires disconected. once you find this whole slide the starter towards the back of the car and then out of the whole. if you dont have a whole then you will have to start taking other things apart.good luck.

Old 03-30-2005, 08:05 PM

I just got her back on the jackstands again. i cant get her high enough to get all the way under but there is no way the starters comming off without the exhaust comming off too. the damn bolts are so rusted on i cant budge them. But thanks for the replys

Old 03-31-2005, 03:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes

try drecnhing the bolts with WD-40 and let it get down in the threads if you can. let it sit for a few minutes and try getting them off. if still no luck go to an auto parts store and ask them if they have anything specifically for freeing bolts.

Old 03-31-2005, 07:09 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

PB Cleaner!!! best stuff ever!! good luck! Darkbird ya gave my props away to patrick man....o well