General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Purchasing a camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Purchasing a camaro

I hate to make this thread resurface, but the closer I become to purchasing this vechile the more I want to be sure of things:

The day that I decide to purchase this 95 z28 from my co-worker - I was thinking about either taking it to a chevrolet dealer to get a diagnostic ran on it, or to some jiffy lube type place for those 160 point inspections- all before I decide to purchase it.

What is my best option as far as knowing what possible issues it might have?A dealer? mechanic shop? or something else that I havent thought of perhaps?

I really do appricate you guys being cool and helping me out- shoot- if any of you who are very knowlageable in the lt1 camaros live in the Raleigh NC area, and would be willing to assist a kid who in 1 1/2 months will be purchasing one- shoot me a pm

thanks in advance,
Phantasos

Old 03-20-2008, 11:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Put 25 bucks in a carfax vehicle report. It is most definately well worth it.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Take it to the Dealer if you do not know any mechanic's you trust. Offer to pay for a quick 1/2 hour inspection test drive. The dealer will not be responsible for anything they miss but theywill see stuff Car fax can not. Expect them to tell you there are oil leaks. I don't thinK there to many cars out there with that kind of miles that do not have some seapage. Most mechanic's will spothalf *** repairs and lack of maintenance pretty quick. You mightwant to say you are looking for general condition of the caryou not looking for every little problem.

jiffy lube type place for those 160 point inspections
Not a good idea, some of these guys know a fair amount about cars and will someday be full blown wrenchs but many just know changing the fluids.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with Gorn, take it to the dealer, that's what I did with mine before I bought it and found out the syncronizer for 3rd was going out... then again I suspected as much when it popped out of gear if I went in to 3rd at a low RPM, the guy came down $1000 so I took it.

If you really want a stick, just wait and sooner or later the car with everything you want (Color, trans, motor, mileage, price, year, condition...) will fall in your lap. Took me 6 months of waitinig, but worth it...

Old 03-22-2008, 11:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks guys I will definatly follow that advice...

ORIGINAL: Slick6

If you really want a stick, just wait and sooner or later the car with everything you want (Color, trans, motor, mileage, price, year, condition...) will fall in your lap. Took me 6 months of waitinig, but worth it...
You know, I have considered that as well- but from what I can tell I would be hard pressed(and perhaps I am wrong) to find
a red(good paint),t-top,stick,z28, <130,000miles,not been ridden hard, leather, all for under 4000<--I am getting it @ 3200

that would be the "dream specs"- the current one I am looking at fits 6/8 of those criteria- I just wish it was less miles and a stick...

I still am about 1 1/2 months away from having enough anyways- maybe something else will come along the way

Old 03-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You will have a tuff time finding a stick for the price you are looking for. The LT1/6 speeds are bring near 3K without the rest of the car. I was thinking of doing an upgrade to my 67. You can find LT1/automatics resonable but LT1 6 speeds areplus 1K with the same milage as the auto.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:17 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: Gorn

You will have a tuff time finding a stick for the price you are looking for. The LT1/6 speeds are bring near 3K without the rest of the car. I was thinking of doing an upgrade to my 67. You can find LT1/automatics resonable but LT1 6 speeds areplus 1K with the same milage as the auto.
Although I am no expert on pricing of these beautys- thats what I have thought/seen as well...Two other thoughts that arose from that were-

1. Just purchase the vechile so I have some type of "tangible" bargining chip- Find a better deal and maybe even sell that one at a higher price

2.Purchase it, wait till the 2010 camaros arive- find a superb deal(I'm assuming) because owners want to sell there old camaros
Either way, I still get to have my cake and eat it too...
Opinions about those two^?

You guys rock btw...thanks for being so cool about steering me in the right direction!

Old 03-25-2008, 07:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I'd go with that second thought

Old 03-25-2008, 10:14 PM

Hey whats up man, it's Curtis for work...Good luck with the car! We'll have to hit the track as soon as you get it!