2010+ General
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

purchasing Camaro, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 05:34 AM
Default purchasing Camaro, suggestions?

Hi guys,

I'm new here and I'm planning to buy a 2011 Camaro for the next year.
I would like any suggestions from actual owner to help me on the choice.

I'm very fought between V6 and V8, Manual or Automatic, now I heard too there will be the Convertible in 2011... HELP!! .

I know this is a personal choice, everyone has own preferences but I would like to know your experiences.

For me this is a real new world; I always dreamed a V8 engine but I think the V6 is not to understimate. Even if we consider $6K difference, usable for accessories or the new Convertible (I read that the difference will be $4.5K maybe?)
I would ask you about differences between the two engines: how does it work the V6? Is the classic engine that "force" you to sell your ride after a couple of months to buy the SS or it has personality? (In Europe I always rode less than 200hp cars and the 300+hp 2LT is still a great step foward for me )
Also considered I would "try" to respect laws when is possible, leaving bad habits in Europe

If will choose V6, I'm oriented on Automatic Transmission, I know is not so sporting but I'm in love with paddleshift. Do you have some informations? maintenance cost differences between auto and manual? And what kind of automatic is? Sequential robotized (manual gearshift with standard clutch and electronic actuators) or a "classic" automatic with a viscous traction clutch? Sorry if I'm writing full of beans but I'm not so updated on US Automatic shift.

Thank you for your patience and sorry for my writing errors, I will improve asap...

Read you soon.
The Alien

Old 10-06-2010, 06:59 AM
3rd Gear Member

Only way I'd get a new Camaro is with a V8 and a manual. The new gen is too big and heavy for the V6 imo, even with 300hp I doubt it will feel that powerful. Now, 420 hp mated to a manual trans, sounds like a hell of a lot more fun lol

Old 10-06-2010, 11:52 AM

I have the v6 in Synergy green and the 312 hp is more than sufficient. I traded in my R/T Charger for this car and haven't looked back.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by SicilianMedic
I have the v6 in Synergy green and the 312 hp is more than sufficient. I traded in my R/T Charger for this car and haven't looked back.
Do you have an Automatic or Manual one? Impressions?

Old 10-06-2010, 02:53 PM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Ya, but 426 HP is more more sufficient. Its a muscle car, you have got to go for the V8. I got a 1SS, I dont need all the rest of the goodies, just a 6 spd and a V8.

One of my instructors had rented a V6 and said he had trouble getting on the freeway here, but he also didnt know the speed limit is 75 till the last second. I had an 06 Eclipse GT with the V6 (263 rated HP 240 to the wheels) prior to the Camaro and it was fast, but it is definitely a step up to the SS.

Oh, and the transmission. When I am sitting in traffic I wish I had the auto once in a while, but then the rest of the time I am glad I have the 6 spd. I just like the greater connection with the car. Kind of makes me feel more involved with the whole thing.

Any way I'm sure you'll love it.

Last edited by edog2; 10-06-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:26 PM
November 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

tough question, it really depends on you..what you want, where & when your driving,and how the car will be used...pleasure or daily driver.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:35 PM

My R/T Charger was a waste! It was heavy, yet powerful. I never thoroughly used the V8 engine and spent a lot of money on maintenance and fuel. The Camaro is a lot lighter and the V6 has NO issues! It's 75mph all over the place here and the car has no problems fullfilling that. I went from spending $45-50 per tank of gas with the Charger to $30 for the Camaro. With that said, I agree with Chevelle Man. It all depends on what YOU want. My car is considered my daily driver and having the V8 was a a waste. You have to consider what you're willing to pay for what you need and/or desire.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:35 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

the 6er give you the camaro look and enough power to get around a little better than most and the 8 is a true american muscle car that has the power to take down most any stock car youll pull up next to

Old 10-06-2010, 04:37 PM

I have an automatic by the way. Honestly, I can do without the paddle shift. It's hard to mess with while trying to shift into second and making a turn at the same time. I liked the autostick that was in my Charger much more.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:38 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

Originally Posted by SicilianMedic
My R/T Charger was a waste! It was heavy, yet powerful. I never thoroughly used the V8 engine and spent a lot of money on maintenance and fuel. The Camaro is a lot lighter and the V6 has NO issues! It's 75mph all over the place here and the car has no problems fullfilling that. I went from spending $45-50 per tank of gas with the Charger to $30 for the Camaro. With that said, I agree with Chevelle Man. It all depends on what YOU want. My car is considered my daily driver and having the V8 was a a waste. You have to consider what you're willing to pay for what you need and/or desire.
btw the camaro isnt ALOT lighter

Camaro is about 3750 and the charger is around 3880... so not noticable....

Quick Reply: purchasing Camaro, suggestions?