General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No Spark!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Default RE: No Spark!!

I know its getting gas.No problems there. I may not have the tools to check the capacator, but I am a fast learner!I do have a voltmeter and know how to use that. I suppose I will just go get a new capacator and see what happns after that.

How do theese things function in the distibutor anyways. What is their purpose? Does the ignition modual amplify the electic current or control it? What does the compacator do?

Old 10-03-2007, 01:36 PM

I'm not going to claim I'm a seasoned mechanic or anything, but this sounds like a very similiar problem I had with my 67 camaro that had an HEI system put into sometime in its lifetime. Mine basically had the same symptoms that you have described, but mine ended up having spark but the gas had been sitting too long and was no longer good. I'd sugjest going to your local NAPA or parts store and finding a spark plug testing to see if it is actually getting a spark and the fuel not being able to ignite. If the spark is bright blue on the HEI voltage setting, try siphoning your tank and refilling it.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Tech Droid

Go to this site for info about your distributor, they are talking about the S10 truck, but it is the same as yours.
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

Old 10-03-2007, 08:40 PM

Today I got a hold of an another complete distibuter form a freind. It still has the GM modual in it. We put it in and SPARK!!! WOOO HOOO!![sm=badbadbad.gif]

My freind even elctricuted himself testing it! HAHAHAA! His hole arm was numb for 10 minutes! Thanks for your help fellas.

I am guessing it would be the capacator in the old distibutor then? Since the modual was tested and turned out good. The coil was brand new ACDelco out the box..... How can I "rebuild" this old distibutor since it is not working. I dont want to toss it in the scrap. I may have limited knowledge but I am a fast learner. The 89 is back on the road![sm=gears.gif]

Old 10-03-2007, 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: z28pete

Go to this site for info about your distributor, they are talking about the S10 truck, but it is the same as yours.
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
Cool little article, I didnt even know AutoZone had all that info on the net and I work part time there!! [8D]So that round thing next to the CM is a condenser, all it does is supress radio frecencys. I want to rebuild this old distibutor and save it, or sell it....

We still have some more work to to, but now that it runs, we can move foreward. Some belt tightening, valve cover gaskets, timing, ect.
What should I set the timing on this thing to? Right now I have it at 900 RPM, to high? Any lower and it back fires out the carb, but thats at full throttle in nuetral.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:49 PM
2nd Gear member

[:@] condensor is for voltage spike control when the module collapses the field in the coil to produce spark. keep the dist to help a buddy out in the future. timing will be around 6 btdc and 900 is a little high unless you have a decent camshaft installed. once warm and assuming everything is working right you should not have backfiring in the carb. you may need to do some adjustments there, accelorator pump or power valve not working or just a lean jet or rod setting within the carb. flattened camshaft lobes will also make a nice pop through the carb but will usually have a lack of power assosiated with it kurt

Old 10-08-2007, 06:06 PM

alright I am getting this now, almost makes me want to take a class! Wait on getting my degree online at Camaroforums.com!Are there kits I can get to rebuild the distibutor? Maybe an all AC Delco kit? Some one was telling me there are to contact pionts in the same shaft the rotor is connected to, and this can be a problem also, is this true?

The carb we have on it now is a used Holley, I will look to see what model it is. I have Noknowledge about carbs, just what to call parts.I do have an old Quad jet from a 350 chevy truck laying around, and I know that truck ran like a champ!

I think the carb is another thread tho........

Old 10-09-2007, 07:35 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] there may be a kit but ive never seen one usually you buy all the parts individualy for the dist. there are what one may call teeth on the shaft and they are the other half of the pickup coil as seen on page one of this thread(z28 petes pictures) these parts are a magnetic trigger and do not actually touch and ive never known the teeth on the shaft to be a problem unless the guides wear out in the shaft allowing contact of the pointy things it is common for the power valve in holleys to get destroyed during a backfire. the power valve, known as an accelerator pump on the quadrajet, dumps fuel into the carb whenever the accelerator is applied rapidly. a bad one of these is typified by the condition you have (a backfire through the carb due to a lean condition) quadrajets are great carbs that seem to get a bad rap from those who refuse to get educated in thier function, probably one of the more reliable brands available. small primaries for decent mileage and throttle response and big old secondaries for the WOT shots. if the manifold is set up for the spread bore qjet give it a try and see if it is still working good kurt

Old 10-13-2007, 11:17 PM

friday we put the QJ carb on the camaro, and it is runnin like a champ[8D]!

My freind drove it to my house spitting and sputtering, we then took of the holley and put on the QJ. At first it still backfired, but once we got the choke hooked up right and heated it was al good! The timing was set to 6-700RPM and we hit the E-WAY! Its a manuel so it almost snaps your head back!My freind was driving or I would have been snapping necks!

I will def save the distibutor, maybe work on it a bit so its ready for the next guy. I also heard good things about the Qj carbs from older mechanics who swear by them, I now you can do so much with them.

I hope this thread has helped out others as much as me, Thanks for all you help, I will keep you all posted and try to get some pics up!