General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help with engine casting date

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Default help with engine casting date

[:@]I bought a 69 Z28 camaro with the originally 302 engine. The vin is stampted by the oil filter, the block has been decked and the numbers are missing , My question is the block casting date is M47 which doesn't make any sense because A stands for january and L stands for december. The date is on the back of the block behind the destribitor next to the bell housing. The car was built in october, and the block casting number is 3970010 which came out in late 69. can anyone help me with this casting date? Thanks michael

Old 10-12-2007, 02:29 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: help with engine casting date

[&:] according to the reference materials i have an M code was used to denote december on some of the 1969 "010" blocks and is not known why. in almost all cases the "010" block was for 350 cid the 1969 302cid being the exception. there are also three other possible block numbers that were used for the 302 cid. all of 1969's production run of "010"blocks were four bolt main hope this helps kurt

Old 10-12-2007, 02:56 AM
2nd Gear member

[&:] some more info and questions on my part. as you state the block carries a cast date code of M47 and since "010" casting number was not made until early or mid 1969 i would have to believe it is a december 4th 1977 and not 1967 block instead as these were in production until at least 1979. i do find some reference to the vin sbeing stamped on the bellhousing flange. what is the vin # and possible to get pic?? the date code is troubling me as a possible forgery as an original block for this car. chevrolet seem to always have strange exceptions to production but ive yet to find anything that says the "010" block was even a rumor in 1967. some things make sense and are correct for the application but others arent adding up . vin letters should be 1/8 inch high kurt

Old 10-12-2007, 05:33 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Maybe this will help. http://www.nastyz28.com/chevy-engine-code-stampings.php

Old 10-12-2007, 11:25 AM

The vin numbers stamped in the block are 1/8" inch high and you can't hardly see them. I had to remove the paint and use a flash light to see them. Did any 69 Z28 cars come with a 350. This engine has the right intake destribitor,valve covers, pulleys for the 302.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:56 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] oh yes the 350 was probably the most common engine option(dont have production numbers but im guessing) what are the vin numbers?? so the date codes and part numbers are correct for the 1969 302 cid?? the rpo z28 that got the 302 engine mandated a manual 4 spd trans and disc brakes at least up front if not all four corners. the letters DZ should be found in the vin if its an original 302. there is some mention of the 302 being produced in 1967 and 1968 but not with the "010" block. DZ code was also unique to the 1969 model. get me the vin numbers off the block and car so i can help a little more. kurt

Old 10-12-2007, 03:07 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

The 1st gen Z/28 had a 302 engine - the block, when crossreferanced will return to a 327.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:28 PM

The car is a X33 car, the vin is 124379N697761. The vin on the block is 19N697761. the car has disc brakes on front. It also has the right breather for the cow induction. The engine assembly date which is stamped on the right front of the block in frontof the cylinder head is gone because the block has been resurfaced, that would read something like V0912DZ. The DZ stands for 302. The car is a true Z28 and i thought they all had 302's. Its not uncommon for these numbers to get milled of when some one has a engine block resurfaced. I know this because I build alot of engines, but I've never paid any attention to numbers that were stamped on engine blocks, and my local machine shop said the same thing. I just figured a machine shop never thought about restamping the block. The casting date of the block has thrown me for a loop. This car has been put up in a garage for 10 years, this guy had a fender bender and never got it put back together, he started drinking alot and decided to sell it, and he really didn't know what he had. The car only has 33000 miles on it. there is no rust anywhere. The body is straight as a pin except a fender,hood and a cor support. The brake and clutch pedal looks like new with no wear. I just find it hard to believe some one forged the vin on this block, and didn't bother with restamping the front numbers back on the block. and how popular was these cars 10 years ago would some one really cared that the vin was stamped on the block. The car has a M20 tranny with the right vin. I was really hoping i got my hands on a matching number 69Z28.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:39 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] michael, you like myself and anyone i can think of would be exstatic to come across a find like this, and indeed all numbers that we have would indeed seem to be evidence that all the parts are what they are suppose to be. the one thing that still bothers me is the 1967 (77) cast date. i still have found nothing to support the existence of 010 blocks that early. ive got about 10 "010" blocks sitting around and better than a half dozen big blocks and none of them have been decked to the point they dont have anything on the front pad(seems to me this amount of milling would create quite an impressive compression ratio). all the evidence of it being a correct car is there except for the stamping and year. chevy did do wierd and undocumented stuff and maybe your car is one of those and im rootin like hell that youve found a rare original gem but for you to insure it properly(value) or sell and get top dollar we need to attempt to verify all the parts authenticity. while i dont like the idea one certainly has to entertain and or investigate the idea that some less than scrupulous person may have attempted a forgery by milling a 1977 "010" block and stamping it on the bell housing in an attempt to legitimize its heritage and thought the cast date wouldnt be noticed or checked against "010" block introduction dates. i dont have production numbers for the 1969 camaro optioned with rpo Z28(thus having a 302) but i dont think alot were made and even fewer have survived, i know ive come across and personally seen several DZ stamped blocks and they didnt have a body that they belonged to to so at least some of the original Z28 302 camaros are probably riding around without thier original powerplants. anyone else got any ideas?? in response to cpl thomas----the info i have shows that there were a total of six casting numbers used for 302 cid blocks with only three also being used for 327's. the stamped code on the front was very specific to engine size and HP rating and vehicle kurt

Old 10-13-2007, 07:47 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

ORIGINAL: t9ojetpilot

the info i have shows that there were a total of six casting numbers used for 302 cid blocks with only three also being used for 327's. the stamped code on the front was very specific to engine size and HP rating and vehicle kurt
You are correct. I should have looked at my own post before moving on. The ending should look like this :
....referanced should return to a 327, 350 or 302.

Quick Reply: help with engine casting date