General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My brakes and stuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Default My brakes and stuff

I took my 86 through inspection not too long ago and they told me that my rear passenger brake has to be readjusted, does anyone know how to do it, I wanna do it myself i just need some tips, oh yea and my speedometer decided that it only works when it wants to what do i do about that, oh yea and there has been this problem, when I put it in drive (yes its an automatic) and I stop, sometimes the idle is so low that it will stall, if I turn the idle up will that solve the problem? because it has always had a low idle, (it sounds sexi) but i think because of the cold weather we've been having its been taking a toll on the car and on my patience. (its a pain in the A to stall at a stop sign and I tend to drive two footed one foot on the gas while the other is on the brake to keep it from stalling.) So, when the car is on it tends to idle between 500 RPMs and 1000 RPMs where in the summer it was Idleing at about 1500 and seemed stable. I don't know what to do. I don't know if there would be a problem with the transmission or what... SOMEONE HELP !!!!!

Old 02-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: My brakes and stuff

When they inspect they check it with a brake measuring tool. But people dont have that at home so I will tell you how I adjust without it.
There is a oval hole on the back side of the brakes. It may have a rubber plug or a piece of metal that needs to be knocked out. The car needs to be jacked up and supported. There is a gear inside the slot. Use a flat screwdriver and turn that gear. it should turn easily one wy and you will hear a clicking sound. Rotate the wheel untill you feel some drag on it. Push on the brake pedal and adjust it again until there is a slight drag.
When your car is idleing different summer and winter adjusting it is not the cure. Do you have a check engine light? Does the idle change and the stall only happen when the speedo does not work?

Old 02-14-2007, 10:35 PM

Thanks for the brake info, I'll give it a try, it sounds simple enough. As far as the stalling, yea I have a check engine light, it hasnt come on though, that's why I was leaning towards the fact that it isn't the transmission, there isnt any wierd knocking its just that when I put it in gear, like when im backing out of the drive way and I pull out onto the road and then put it in drive, it stalls and when I'm sitting somewhere like at a light it stalls. The stalling began before the speedo went on the fritz, and for some reason, whenI start out driving, the speedo dont work but if im driving down the road, it will come up and start working again. I have no clue what it is, I hope it isn't anything serious.[&:]

Old 02-15-2007, 09:34 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

A swift smack on the dash board seems to get my spedo and tach working right again. J/K I would suggest getting the Chilton's or Haynes manual from pep boys or Napa or advance auto parts, this book will help with alot of troubleshooting and repair issues for the DIY'ers, like us.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:11 AM

ok, ill do that thanks

Old 02-15-2007, 01:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

They are called self adjusters for a reason... Put your car in reverse to a considerable speed and just jam on the brakes. The lever that goes on that "gear" will slip and when you apply the brakes in reverse will cause the self adjuster to go out... What size motor do you have? TPI or TBI injection? It could be a bad TPS sensor or a bad sensor some where else.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:06 PM

I have a v8 305, I think its a TPI injection, and that brake solution sounds fun. But if its only one side that needs adjusting, if I do that it isnt going to mess up the other side is it?

Old 02-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Overdrive Member

The self adjuster does not work well at all. It is a lever on a spring and can skip over the gear that needs to be turned. The gear gets stuck and the lever wont turn it. Also what normo left out was you are suposed to manualy adjust it until there is a drag felt then back it off about half turn then drive in reverse and apply the brakes. But if you just adjust manualy until you feel a drag worked for me when I had to take vehicles for a brake and lamp inspection.

And dont waste your money on a haynes unless you need toilet papper. Get a Chiltons #28282

Old 02-15-2007, 09:05 PM

ok, readjust manually, then do the reverse thing, I've always prefered Chiltons anyway. I think its more detailed and easier to follow. Hopefully I can really get started soon, I've got alot of work to do but its so damn cold and I don't have a garage, but it may have to wait till the spring, than I'll have to get the whole thing reinspected but, oh well.