General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help problem when starting from a stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:25 AM
Default help problem when starting from a stop

Hey everyone, got a problem I need help diagnosing. 5.7 automatic 1997

This does not happen all the time but it seems like its happening more often.

When the vehical is in drive and I let off the brake to go, i have something happening. It almost feels like the rear brakes are grabbing. I have a grinding/rubbing sensation coming from the rear of the car. It happens before i get on the gas as the car begins coasting forward. As soon as I get on the gas, it stops and everything acts normal. Two or three weeks ago i noticed this and my first though was geez there go the tranny. Now it is happening twice a day regardless of wether or not the vehical has been sitting or its hot from driving.

Im trying to stay positive and think its something small. Ive ordered new u joints and plan on installing next weekend hoping that this is the problem. Would u joints cause anything like this to happen? The transmisson fluid had good color and didnt smell burnt. Everything else that i know to look at has checked out fine.

Any ideas or thoughts? Has anyone else had a problem similar to this?

Thank you in advance for any help on this one.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:01 AM
4th Gear Member

Have you checked the parking brake and the brake pads? Usually a u joint will pop and if it is really bad, you will have a pretty good vibration at highway speeds. If you can feel the rotors inside and out to see if they have any gouges where the pads may have worn down and got into them.