Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 07:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Starting Problem

Basically my SS wont crank over. Had no signs of anything going wrong. Parked my car for a couple of hours and came out to leave and it wouldn't start. Buddy came gave it a jump and it started. Then it happened 2 more times after that. Had the battery checked it's good. Got a new alternator and that's not it. Then my buddy said try and put a new crank postioning sensor. Did that and now it STILL wont crank over. I've ran out of ideas on what could possibly be wrong. Can anybody give me some ideas on what it could be.
I appreciate all the help and sorry that this is so long.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: Starting Problem

if jumping it worked its got to be battery. i bet ur test was a false positive. does it just click at u when u try to start it, or no noise at all?

Old 05-10-2008, 07:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It just clicks. Autozone tested the battery and it was at 11.7 I believe when the test was completed.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Ninja Administrator

oh damn... well, since it takes a technical college degree to work at autozone [:-]

that sounds like a dead battery. especially if you had just driven the car after a jump or something it would have a charge, but probably lose it after sitting for a bit. go buy a new battery

Old 05-10-2008, 08:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It is a new battery only 3 months old. Never had a problem and I think there would've been some kind of sign. It started up on the first time til that 1 day. Maybe i'll just try another battery and see if that's the problem.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Ninja Administrator

the clicking means ur not getting enough cranking power to turn the starter. the only other thing it could be is the starter itself sticking, which can sound similar to a weak battery.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

But with a jump it started as soon as I put them on and tried starting it. When I changed the crank positioning sensor the starter was covered in like black powder kinda like exhaust carbon. I didn't think anything of it. But I never had a problem starting it before. It always started on the first try.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I went and tested to see if I was getting spark and I'm definetly not getting spark.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Overdrive Member

Maybe a bad wiring connection/corrosion?

Old 05-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Ninja Administrator

i till say throw a new bat in there and see what happens. the clicking is always lack of cranking power. if accompanied by an electric smell after lots of cranking, it means ur spinning the starter but the gear isnt coming out and making contact with the flywheel. you ARE getting spark if the car is running after a jump. the only thing a jump does is affect the starting cranking power, so if u ran after a jump i wouldnt have even touched the alternator

Quick Reply: Starting Problem